The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Fan made mixes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:09 am 
Virgin
Virgin

http://picosong.com/yuVK/

I love the stripped back sound compared to the full version but I am considering mixing the track myself again but making everything sound bigger. Lately I've been listening to a lot of acapella tracks or Rocky Horror and other shows/song. As you can see the sound quality isn't that bad although not the best but i think with some tinkering it could be louder and clearer. I'm not really keen on the guitar tracks on their own and would actually prefer the tracks without guitar on them.

Post subject: Re: Fan made mixes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:46 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

how was this achieved?

what system are you using?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I have song stems for some of the soundtrack. I am big music collector and also have contacts in the music business, I also get a lot of rare stuff from modern artists and music. A lot of it is sent inhouse only or to a handful of clients. Here is a mix I did of Hot Patootie without the main guitars. I also turned the bass and vocals up a bit and put the kick drum up just a tad.

http://picosong.com/yEPW/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:39 pm 
Slut
Slut

would you, by any chance, feel inclined towards sharing the stems from the soundtrack?
if so, I would definitely be interested.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:34 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I would LOVE to hear the song stems of Science Fiction/Double Feature and the reprise. I hope you can share those.

- Colton

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 am 
Virgin
Virgin

If you can get stems from the Roxy cast, or sample them in some way, try substituting some of those guitar tracks. I feel like they were a little less... crunchy... than the film's? Dunno how to describe it. Anyway, give it a shot!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:49 am 
Techie
Techie

I would love and all stems you would be inclined to share. However, an acapella of "Planet Schmanet" is something I've been in dire want of for a long time

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:28 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Any chance of getting the stems or acapellas?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:05 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I don't have all stems for all songs, only some. They are only from the film soundtrack, no stage shows although I will look into that. If i could find someone who has copies of those multitrack recordings I think I could give them a good chance at sharing it by trading stuff I have. The Rocky Horror stuff is just stuff I have as a collector and a fan, all the other stuff I get is given out officially by music companies for use in certain areas although they come with strong warnings about sharing any of it and that's pretty much all instrumentals and before anyone asks I've never came across any Rocky Horror stuff, i think Science Fiction Double Feature was the only one I came across and that was through Warner Bros with Richard O'Brien listed as the artist. I don't think a lot of fans bother with instrumentals no matter who the artists are although I get sent quite a few every week. If you look at the charts just now, near enough all of them have instrumental versions available, real ones, not karaoke ones, real studio ones.

The stems are not all clean and are not the highest quality either at 128kbps MP3. Some work would need to be done to get the best out of them. The vocals have background instruments and backing vocals so The Time Warp has the piano and the horns during the chorus for example. Hot Patootie is probably the cleanest in that regard and any piano during the first verse is mixed so low that you would never hear it anyway with the other instruments playing. Drum kick, snare, hi hats cymbals, bass and guitar are all separate. I don't know if the full multitracks will ever be made in full high quality but I will say the vocal stems do sound very good indeed and are bright and clear, the guitar tracks can be a little hard on the ears but I think that is actually due to the lower quality. I just listened to the Hot Patootie version i uploaded again and was surprised at how good it sounded but i had to turn up the kick drum and snare IIRC. I think the stems are best left as a novelty or collectors item, I don't think unless you're really skilled in audio that you'd be using them to listen to inplace of the actual soundtrack or unless you really wanted to hear the vocal takes on their own or you don't like certain elements and want to take them out completely like I did with the guitar track for Hot Patootie. I wish i had other stems for some of the less upbeat songs, I know Richard responds to fanmail sent to him and I'm really surprised that no one has asked him about this kind of thing. With all the shows that happen every year I'm surprised there hasn't been fans that have slipped some money the way of the sound mixers and gotten some HQ copies of the shows audio or some of the multitracks. I certainly have a vast collection of stuff that would be considered 'rare' but anyone that has this kind of stuff would already have gotten the same stuff I have or wouldn't have much trouble getting it if they wanted it. I don't know if anyone that works at the theatres are involved in the sound of the show or if they keep the same staff travelling with the show. It would be interesting to get a hold of some of the live multitracks and be able to have the dialogue for the entire show.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I would really like the vocal takes on there own to use in remixes, I have always wanted to remix a song from the film but never been able to as the acapellas are very hard to come across, the only one I have is Sweet Transvestite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:35 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Come on man! Please upload the stems for the collectors and remixers :)

Here is the 'Sweet Transvestite' Acapella I have:
http://picosong.com/kDFG

Hope you all enjoy :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:53 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Been a while since I've been here. Here are the stems for Sweet Tranvestite although some tracks are not mixed separately.

http://www.speedyshare.com/qDNDJ/Rocky- ... estite.rar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Can you reupload this please? :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Can you reupload this please? :D