The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: RHPS Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:55 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

This should be a hot topic.

It's a well known fact that Fox has stated they will remain faithful to the Blu-Ray format, so the question is ... when do you think we'll see a high-definition version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show? Also, what special features would you like to see crammed on a 50gb disc to whet our appetite?

1. Both versions (US/UK) of movie in 1080p. :twisted:
2. Lossless and mono audio. :shock:

Of course, all the bonus features from 25th Anniversay DVD.

Would be awesome to get Tim Curry to add his commentary.

- Colton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Blu-Ray version at this point. One of the reasons they took so freaking long to release Shock Treatment on DVD was apparently because they didn't make as much money as they thought they would on the 25th Anniversary RHPS DVDs. Not that I can imagine myself buying a Blu-Ray player anytime in the near future, anyway. Though that didn't exactly stop people from buying the 20th Anniversary Laserdiscs. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:20 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

I expect they will, eventually, if BR takes off, or HD-DVD if not...

What I'd like to see:
They can leave out the 'US version', that's just wasting space.
Get Jim and Brian to do a commentary. I'd prefer that over a cast-members one.
Record a new AP track, the DVD one is just awful. Or maybe even use the AP album for it *shrug*
How about some foreign language dubs? I don't think there are any, but I'd love to hear one!
More extensive photo galleries, trailers and other promotional material, especially the radio spots. It's criminal they were left off the LD and DVD!
Fix the sound again! Put Columbia's grunt back in during TW, and the correct instrumental version of TW during the credits.
The documentary from the current release is fine, but how about one about the stage show, international productions and all that. Lotsa interviews, footage, music videos, etc. Maybe that would be better as a seperate release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:35 am 
Groupie
Groupie

Glenn JB wrote:
I expect they will, eventually, if BR takes off, or HD-DVD if not...

What I'd like to see:
They can leave out the 'US version', that's just wasting space.
Get Jim and Brian to do a commentary. I'd prefer that over a cast-members one.
Record a new AP track, the DVD one is just awful. Or maybe even use the AP album for it *shrug*
How about some foreign language dubs? I don't think there are any, but I'd love to hear one!
More extensive photo galleries, trailers and other promotional material, especially the radio spots. It's criminal they were left off the LD and DVD!
Fix the sound again! Put Columbia's grunt back in during TW, and the correct instrumental version of TW during the credits.
The documentary from the current release is fine, but how about one about the stage show, international productions and all that. Lotsa interviews, footage, music videos, etc. Maybe that would be better as a seperate release.

Great suggestions!

1. I agree the U.S. version is not needed. More is better! In fact, how about an option to include "Once In Awhile" into the movie?

2. Would love to hear Jim and Brian do a commentary!

3. A lossless PCM track would be heaven!!! New blu-ray movies are featuring this and it sounds awesome!

4. Foreign dubs would be okay, but not necessary for region releases.

5. Yes! More production shots and video!

6. I never noticed that Columbia's grunt was removed. Which release of RHPS can it be heard? As for the instrumental Time Warp, are you referring to the version on the mono track with the sax? I like that one!

7. Absolutely! I'd love to see footage from the stage shows. Even some news bits throughout the ages from tv shows that report the midnight phenomenon.

Also, is there NO PRODUCTION SHOTS of Patricia Quinn preparing for Science Fiction/Double Feature? I find this unbelievable! I would love to know what steps were taken to get the lips on the big screen! Hard to imagine that nothing was documented for this important scene.

- sacolton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:00 pm 
Techie
Techie

I agree with the suggestions above. The only thing I want that hasn't been mentioned is the ORIGINAL mono soundtrack. Not the one on the 25th anniversary DVD. It was good that they finally released the mono soundtrack in some form, and it is a nice mix. If they wanted to do a stereo release, then it should have been done more like the DVD mono release and not that garbage they put together from the album versions and called a "stereo release".
However, I really would love a nice clean copy of the mono soundtrack exactly the way it was originally released in the 70's/80's. The one on the DVD has been modified in some way and it still sounds off to me.

As far as the "US version" is concerned, I like the idea of it being an option for my own personal nostalgic reasons as that is the version of the film I grew up watching. (Although, I DO have a crappy VHS bootleg from a US film print, so I don't necessarily need the US version on the DVD. It was the first copy of Rocky on VHS I ever had. Got it in 1987.)
I didn't even know footage for Superheroes existed until it was broadcast on MTV in "The Rocky Horror Video Show" in 1988. However, if they are going to include the "US Version" I wish they would fix the cut in Superheroes so it flows seamlessly like it did in all of the release prints from the 70s and 80s. That cut they did for the video release is atrocious and I cannot believe a major studio and/or Lou Adler let the film be released that way. ( I also cannot believe Lou Adler prefers the "stereo" soundtrack to the mono. Whatever. To each his own I guess)

Just my 2 cents.

Post subject: Commentary tracks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:31 am 
Virgin
Virgin

At least two commentary tracks exist that weren't used.

1. Sal Piro
2. Jim Sharman (and MAYBE Brian Thomson.)

The first I know exists because I asked Sal about it at the Bay Area Con circa... 1999? (I'm getting old.)

The second, I forget if that was a conversation I had with Fox's VP at the time (in 1995) David.... and his last name escapes me. Or if that too wsa a conversastion with Sal.

Sadly, my memory is not what it used to be.