RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Rocky Horror Ska Tribute
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

This is actually an aborted album from some years back, but pieces of it seem to keep surfacing every so often so I wanted to collect the various bits of information together (and solicit further info from anyone else that might happen to know more). Most of what I know about it is from this interview (probably done in 2001) with Chris Murray:

Quote:
Science Fiction Double Feature definitely took the longest time. I was asked several years ago to record the two versions that appear on the album by Bob Timm at ska.about.com for a compilation he was doing of ska and reggae versions of songs from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. What took so long was trying to bring this amazing song, which I had grown up loving and did not want to butcher, smoothly into my own musical realm. It took some time for that process to unfold.

There was quite a while that it looked like the Rocky Horror comp would never get released, for various reasons, but I'm glad to say that it is now expected to come out this fall on Vegas Records. It should be a pretty crazy release. I debated whether to include Science Fiction on 4-Trackaganza! It's the first time I've ever done a cover version of someone else's material on one of my own album projects, either solo or with King Apparatus. I like the way those tracks sounded a lot, and I didn't want them never to get released after working so hard on them. It's a really cool tune. The lyrics are incredible.

In fact, Vegas Records would not actually release anything and the whole project seemed to just kind of go away. And yet, all these ska bands had already recorded tracks for it apparently. These are the tracks I know of specifically:

* Chris Murray - "Science Fiction/Double Feature"
* Regatta 69 - "Dammit Janet"
* Pain - "Time Warp"
* Suburban Legends - "Rose Tint My World" (through Wild And Untamed Thing)
* Chris Murray - "Science Fiction/Double Feature (Reprise)"

Chris Murray released both of his tracks on the "4-Trackaganza" album in 2001. Regatta 69 released theirs on "SKAttered, SMOTHered, COVERed" in December 2000. Suburban Legends (my favorite cover of the bunch) would make their track available online only at MP3.com - and of course it's here now. Pain, I just found out, will be releasing a DVD soon called "In A Band" that is said to include their Time Warp cover (more info here: http://www.thepainpage.com). Anyone know of others?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Forgot one! They can frequently be spotted by the fact that it's a Ska or Reggae band doing a cover of a Rocky Horror song that doesn't usually get covered, released in 2000 or later. This particular track is much more Reggae than the others.

* After Hours - "Once In A While"

They released this on their 2003 "The Trouble With Those Guys Is..." album.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

And this track recently contributed by Jochen seems to fall pretty clearly as part of the aborted Ska tribute:

* Easy Big Fella - "Planet Schmanet, Janet": 3:37, 160 kbps MP3, 4.1 MB

The hallmarks are all there:
- Ska (or Reggae) band
- Active during the 1999-2000 timeframe (they released an album in November '99)
- Covering a Rocky Horror song that's not typically covered (in fact I don't know of ANY covers of this song that weren't for a tribute album)

I don't actually know where or how this track was released though (i.e. if it was online distribution only or what). I haven't seen the track listed on any of their albums.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:47 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

The album was produced by Bob Timm and Ryan Basile. Here is the full track listing of the album that never was released:

1- Chris Murray - Science Fiction Double Feature
2- Regatta 69 - Dammit Janet
3- Victor Rice and The Version City Rockers - Over At The Frankenstein Place
4- Pain - Time Warp
5- The Allentons - Sweet Transyestite
6- The El Conquistadors - The Sword of Damocles
7- Ocean 11 - I Can Make You A Man
8- King Django and The Radiation Kings - Hot Patootie - Bless My Soul
9- Ocean 11 - I Can Make You A Man (Reprise)
10- The Skanksters - Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch Me
11- After Hours - Once In A While
12- Greg Timm - Eddie
13- Easy Big Fella - Planet Schmanet Janet
14- Suburban Legends - Rose Tint My World - Fanfare - Don't Dream It - Wild And Untamed Thing
15- CodeName Rocky - I'm Going Home
16- The Paragons - Super Heroes
17- Chris Murray - Science Fiction (Reprise)

There were a few other tracks recorded - different bands doing some of the songs already on the list above and a cover of a Shock treatment song - but he never got his hands on the finished version from the bands. Occasionally a song will pop up on a compilation CD.

Last edited by larryv on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:13 am 
Groupie
Groupie

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Chris+Murray:Science+Fiction+Double+Feature:3915395:s31735747.12745185.22431403.0.2.216%2Cstd_d61288f059894029a710fce75dd18b3d

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:58 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

http://nominex.com/rhps_ska

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yeehah! Very nice, Larry. I look forward to finally listening to it in its entirety. :o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Very nice, I also have assorted songs but not the entire set. Wonder why the project died with out a cd since it looks like it was all together....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Hey larryv, where did you get these tracks from? I engineered, produced and played on the skanksters' track you have a copy of but its never been released anywhere. I always wanted this record to come out since we put our track down one afternoon just after finishing our first full length record, so there was something really fresh and fun in in the process of recording it. And I do think we kinda did the song justice as well...

Strangely, I received an email about 18 months ago from Ryan apologising and saying they were going to release it (after 10+ years!!) but then nothing again. Been googling ever since to see if it appears anywhere, either online as a streamed album or as a CD somehow. Anyway, would love some info if you have it.

cheers