The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:50 am 
Slut
Slut

My community theatre is doing the rocky horror show and I'm gonna try out for Riff Raff and possibly also Eddie. Now Eddie I think I could probably come up with an audition song easily for him, but I dunno for Riff at first I was gonna just sing his part from the Time Warp, but I know lots of directors don't like it when you audition with songs from the show. So does anyone know a good song to sing if you wanna be Riff Raff?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I would really recommend NOT auditioning with a song from the show. In fact, do not choose your song based on what you interpret the character to be. You never know what the director has in mind for Riff Raff. He may be completely opposite from the ghoulish character he was in the movie.

I suggest choosing a song from another rock musical. By doing that, you will be given an opportunity to show your ability to sing something other than classic/traditional musical theatre. Choose a piece that shows off your abilities. This is not the time to take risks musically. Learn it, rehearse it, dream about the song at night. Never change your song at the last minute.

If you want to be Riff Raff, focus more on the cold reading and call backs. Think about the character and the many ways he can be played. This musical is not so much about the singing (have you HEARD the screeching on some of the soundtracks?!?), it is more about creating a complete personality.

Do not sing from sheet music, nor a cappella. At the very least, if you cannot find a song from another musical (try Little Shop's dentist, for example) try singing a rock song that displays your range.

Break a leg!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:38 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

An up-tempo rock song that shows a high range. I would recomend "Pinball Wizard" from Tommy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 am 
Slut
Slut

Thanks for the advice and I'm looking into the two songs mentioned here (I already know Dentist, but I think thats a better audition song for Eddie) I just got recommended by someone else though to sing 21st century cure from Repo which I think might be a good idea and I already know the song, but I'm looking into Pinball Wizard as well.