The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:46 pm 
Slut
Slut

I really think it'd be amazing if it did. Its been about nine years since we've had Rocky on broadway. I think after it finishes up on its current UK tour it should move to broadway. So I think those american fans should start a chain of fan letters begging to have it moved to broadway WHOSE WITH ME?!? lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Im definately NOT with you. the last revival was terrible. and unless they plan on doing this one more like the original and in an intimate theatre - i say forget it. truthfully, theres no theatres on Broadway (correct me if Im wrong) that are small enuff. Off-Bway, sure.

sorry, but Im more a fan of the old-school version.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I absolutely agree with timeslip325. I have actually never cared for any Rocky Horror revival I have ever seen, or looked into. I have just sort of come to terms that "this is the way the show is done nowadays" but I think the old original production and the way it was done back then was the best way ever. It's actually my favourite obsession. I collect everything that has to do with the original producttions. I just wish I could have seen them. And there is no videos or anything. It's a pity. All we have are photos. :(

But yes, if there is ever a revival of Rocky in NYC it should be down in some filthy old cinema it Greenwich Village. I am a actor going through theatre school right now, it's my goal before I am 30 to put on a production that is heavily based off the original. I'd like to see what a contemporary audience would do with the original production. Becuase I don't think a lot of people have seen Rocky that way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:20 pm 
Slut
Slut

Well I don't completely agree with you all because I loved the broadway revival. But I would like to see a more intimate version like the original one as well. I've only done the show once myself and the director who did it was inspired musically by the revival but our setup was very intimate and our sound effects were made up by ourselves lol suchas Riff's laser was our actor shouting out bazizzt! which people found humorous. We did it at our old community theatre which looks kinda trashy on its own and since it had its haunted theatre going on at the same time we brought a hundred and fifty chairs I think up on stage and had the audience on each side of us and infront of us. The audience loved it they were really able to get into the show. But yea if they ever did an off broadway version similar to the original that would be awesome tho I'd still like to see a full out revival of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:24 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Love the idea of Riff-Raff making his own lazer gun sound! I've always wanted to stage the show a la Theater Upstairs: an old movie house, scaffolding, show surrounding the audience. A friend wants me to direct a production, but he doesn't want any of that. We shall see...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Greetings Groupie and joevitus1,

I'm actually directing/chorographing a production of the The Rocky Horror Show up here in little ole Vermont and we open in 3 weeks. For the most part I'm staying to true to the Stage Musical with a few movie bits thrown in. Just keep in mind that the stage musical is what inspired the movie not the other way around. As a director you have a vision and ideas how the production should look in both a movie and in a stage show. Things are alot easier to do in a movie with all the special effects etc. More people have seen the movie than the stage show so we have become spoiled and feel the stage show should be the same. I'v had to explain this to my cast and have asked them to put away their movies and get the movie out of their mind cause the stage show will never be as good or as better as the RHPS. However the stage show allows you to make it more personal and entertaining for the audiance. joevitus go to you tube and watch the UK Tour David Bedella does a fantastic job and the production is closer to the movie than the 2001 Revival was.
Cheers
Best
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:32 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Well, I'm down in Texas or I'd love to catch a performance.

Generally I'm against watching a movie version in preparation for a stage show. You don't have to watch Hair or Oklahoma! because we know what hippies or cowboys are like, and what sort of world is being created in the show.I think Rocky is something of a unique case just because its such an unusual piece and its important to get on the right wavelength.

But even so, trying to ape the movie can lead to problems. For instance, Charles Gray's deliberate pacing confuses a lot of actors/directors, and they think "Oh, the joke of this character is that he has all these pointless pauses in his dialogue." No. The joke of the character is that he's so deadpan serious and delivers his lines with such a heavy portent of doom, underlining the moral failures he so intimately describes.

It's odd to me that the script does not explain what kind of transvestite Frank is. It simply reads "drops his cape to reveal his transvestite attire." But you'd never know from that that he isn't wearing a ballgown or miniskirt or whatever, and is in fact dressed like a delerious mail-order customer for Frederick's of Hollywood.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:57 am 
Techie
Techie

Scottbear,

I have to strongly disagree with this statement:

"I'v had to explain this to my cast and have asked them to put away their movies and get the movie out of their mind cause the stage show will never be as good or as better as the RHPS"

I am a MASSIVE fan of the film, it's how I was introduced to Rocky Horror, However, it has a lot of flaws, including the pacing and delivery of dialogue at some points. The stage script, at least in it's original form, is a MUCH better piece. I've heard MANY different bootlegs of live productions, seen quite a few live productions myself, and the script ALWAYS gets more laughs and is more entertaining than the film. One scene in particular, the bedroom scenes, are a riot when done properly on stage. In the film, they're kind of long and boring. All the comedy was some how lost in the film. I have a bootleg of the 1975 Broadway starring Tim Curry and he nailed the comedy in those scenes during that production. The audience was eating it up. It was genuinely funny. Why that he could not transfer that over to the film, I am not sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:13 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

sailorcartman, you cannot necessarily blame Tim Curry for his changing performance from stage to sceen - it's not always up to the actor, ya know?

jamiedlover, my opinion was always that the show should never have gone to Broadway back in '75. i mean, the show had always played - and succeeded in - small, intimate venues. it should've just played off-Broadway. i mean, thats how Howard Ashman kept the original production of Little Shop - and it was better for it.

i, as well, collect things from the original shows - esp programs with pics. i have the souvenir prog from the 2nd japanese tour!!
-
also, i never understood why people believe that the UK productions are less like the film - i mean, you can see thats not true by the pics. the costumes are often influenced by the film - and they continue to keep Time Warp first - before Sweet T.

i plan to some day direct and produce the show - in its original format. i feel like i'd have to have both those titles to have it done my way, lol. also, Audience Participation would NOT be allowed. perhaps i'd even be able to get my hands on the music that was used in the Roxy/Belasco productions...!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

I think a lot of criticism of the movie has to do with the fact that we've seen it so many times and are looking for variation. The fact that it was a huge success as a first-run feature in L.A., where the play had been such a big hit, suggests they got it right. Or right enough.

I agree that the play is faster, and sometimes funnier (for some reason, Dr. Scott showing up always seems more ludicrous onstage: that sense that if you do something wrong, your parental figure is going to find out). But farce is very difficult to pull off onscreen because timing is such a key factor. Sticking closer to the stage show might indeed have been a bigger failure onscreen. I've always liked the extent to which they revised the script and changed the values for the movie to work as a movie--the superb creation sequence, for example. Or the dinner scene.

Personally, the pacing of the movie works for me. I like that it starts off quietly and continues to build and build with almost no let up until the movie's end. That's very much how the first two Univeral Frankenstein pictures are paced. Most sci-fi and horror movies of that time, actually.

The bedroom scenes cracked my up the first hundred or so times I saw the picture.