The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:32 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 am
Posts: 4
Hi all, I just came into possession of something I thought was pretty interesting and decided to register here and find out just how interesting it is. Seems like the best place to do so!

There's not nearly as much cool stuff to collect for Shock Treatment as there is for Rocky, so when I saw a listing on eBay for a test pressing of the Shock Treatment soundtrack LP, I snapped it up.

It's... well, it's what one would expect for a test press. Plain white sleeve, plain white disc label with "(P) Warner Bros Records Inc." and some dire warnings about how no unauthorized persons should get hold of the thing, and a sheet of paper with information about the contents of the disc. The paper is labeled "LABEL COPY" and has notes that it's for "ART DEPT. USE ONLY" so I can only assume that it was intended to be used as a reference by an artist doing layout/design work on the cover. There's way more information on the cover than what's provided here, though, so I'm a bit confused on that score. It's dated July 23, 1981 with the release date noted as September 9, 1981.

The track list is exactly the same as the retail release, so this is apparently the same album one could buy in the record store, just without the artwork. I haven't been able to find any other references to a test pressing of this album elsewhere on the internet, though... is this an extreme rarity?

Either way, I'd be happy to provide a scan or photo of the insert for the picture archive if it's of interest.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:41 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 am
Posts: 4
Hmm, guess it's not noteworthy enough to comment on? Ah well, it's still a neat little piece of history for one of my favorite films. I've checked the "notify me when a reply is posted" box, so if there is any interest in a scan of the insert, I'll see when someone posts here.

Take care, all!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 64
I've seen, heard it before. The heart logo on the label is cute. The music is just the Overture/"Shock Treatment" exit music (wasn't the latter cut from the DVD? *sigh*). Neat packaging, though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:48 pm 
Techie
Techie

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:45 am
Posts: 105
Joe Vitus,
You are referring to the promotional 12" single for Overture/Shock Treatment (Richard O Brien version)

I am pretty sure this person is speaking of an actual test pressing of the entire soundtrack album, which would be a much rarer item than the promo 12". A friend of mine just picked one of these test pressings up at a record fare in Chicago as well! I cannot imagine there being very many of these out there so how odd for two to pop up in such a relatively short time. In other words, yes, it is a pretty rare piece.

It's indeed an interesting find. Something I'd like to own. Unfortunately, most have seem to have lost interest in collecting RH merchandise, so, it's not very valuable.

I'd be interested to see scans of the info sheets. As far as the LP itself, well, it's a white label with a white cover. I do not think there is much to see there.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:30 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 am
Posts: 4
Hmm, that is a heck of a coincidence, two of them turning up in so short a time. I'm guessing mine was sitting in a record store for a while, because it was listed by a record dealer on ebay.

There's definitely nothing to see as far as the sleeve and labels are concerned. I'll work on getting a scan of the info sheet.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm
Posts: 64
sailorcartman wrote:
Joe Vitus,
You are referring to the promotional 12" single for Overture/Shock Treatment (Richard O Brien version)

I am pretty sure this person is speaking of an actual test pressing of the entire soundtrack album, which would be a much rarer item than the promo 12". A friend of mine just picked one of these test pressings up at a record fare in Chicago as well! I cannot imagine there being very many of these out there so how odd for two to pop up in such a relatively short time. In other words, yes, it is a pretty rare piece.

It's indeed an interesting find. Something I'd like to own. Unfortunately, most have seem to have lost interest in collecting RH merchandise, so, it's not very valuable.

I'd be interested to see scans of the info sheets. As far as the LP itself, well, it's a white label with a white cover. I do not think there is much to see there.


Yikes! Didn't read thoroughly. Thanks. (Sorry for the delayed response.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:02 pm 
Techie
Techie

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:45 am
Posts: 105
adoblivione wrote:
Hmm, that is a heck of a coincidence, two of them turning up in so short a time. I'm guessing mine was sitting in a record store for a while, because it was listed by a record dealer on ebay.

There's definitely nothing to see as far as the sleeve and labels are concerned. I'll work on getting a scan of the info sheet.



Hey adoblivione,

I am still interested in seeing a scan of that info sheet if you have a chance.

John


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 am
Posts: 4
sailorcartman wrote:

Hey adoblivione,

I am still interested in seeing a scan of that info sheet if you have a chance.

John


Oof! Sorry for the ridiculously, astronomically long delay there, John! Dunno what prompted me to check out this thread again after so long, but I'm glad I did.

I totally promised to get a scan of the info sheet... I haven't been able to scan it but there are pictures. I've actually got the test press listed for sale on eBay at the moment. Not sure if it's kosher to post the link here, but I've attached the pic.


Attachments:
$(KGrHqJ,!qIE-0pIVrOFBQDHCJqUY!~~60_57.JPG [423.02 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron