RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: The Album Cover
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:42 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

I contacted John Pasche who designed the LP album cover (pictured below) on how it all came together ...

Dear Shawn,

Thank you for your interest in the Rocky Horror Picture Show sleeve. It began as a commission for the original film poster and the sleeve was for the soundtrack released at the same time. As far as I remember, the brief was to make the film design different from the stage version graphics as not to be confusing. I think I had a fairly open brief (artistic freedom) except for the fact that I needed to show stills from the film. I was doing some airbrush illustration at the time, hence the treatment of the three principal characters on the front. I remember that it was a bit of a flop when it was first released and took quite a while before it resurfaced as a cult film where it has remained ever since. I think I probably have the artwork stashed away somewhere, but haven’t seen it for a while. Hope this is of some assistance.

Regards,

John Pasche

Post subject: Re: The Album Cover
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:06 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Pretty neat that you tracked him down. The poster—which, like most of them, including the "He's the hero. That's right, the hero!!!" poster—is not reproduced faithfully when you buy new copies today, is slightly more intersting, featuring both sides of the album cover and the tagline "A musical dream come true."

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:22 pm 
Techie
Techie

Did anyone ever explain why the soundtrack was so obviously different than the film music? I mean (like I need to reiterate to this crowd), there's "Time Warp" with Pink Floyd's backup singers, two missing songs, "Super Heroes" which wasn't even in the American cut, an intro to "Super Heroes" (including a cough in the background) that was never used to begin with...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:47 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

They wanted the movie score to sound more gothic. Richard Hartley talks about this in his Transylvanian interview and in the Concept to Cult book. Probably they didn't want to repeat themselves. I never got the impression they were trying to preserve the stage show on film. They wanted to make a movie that was organically a movie. Though obviously in the immediate aftermath they felt they'd screwed up royally.