* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5icmEwkqFIVEVGxca_bokShlj4Oww
Quote:
New Zealand says no to Rocky Horror's Riff Raff

(AFP) – 3 days ago

WELLINGTON — Riff Raff has been refused residency in New Zealand, even though the creator of The Rocky Horror Show spent part of his childhood there, a newspaper reported Saturday.

Richard O'Brien, the 68-year-old British-born creator of the cult musical, wanted to retire to New Zealand but was told he did not fit the criteria for citizenship or permanent residency, the Dominion Post said.

O'Brien, who now lives in London, wants to move to the small North Island coastal town of Katikati, where he owns property.

O'Brien came to New Zealand as a 10-year-old when his family emigrated from Britain in 1952 and spent 12 years in the country before moving to London.

He has a brother and sister still living in the town of Tauranga, as did their parents until they died about four years ago and his son Josh is applying for residency after moving to New Zealand on a student visa.

The city of Hamilton, where O'Brien spent his teenage years, has honoured him with a statue of his character from The Rocky Horror Show, the creepy butler Riff Raff.

But according to immigration requirements, to be sponsored by family members for permanent residency in New Zealand O'Brien has to be aged 55 or under and have secured a job offer, criteria which he does not fit.

O'Brien told the newspaper he thought his application should be "rubber stamped" in light of his contribution to New Zealand.

"I don't understand -- they build a statue of me and celebrate me as a New Zealander, but I have to go on my knees and do all sorts of things, and I'm probably too old."

O'Brien has often spoken in interviews about having grown up in New Zealand and the influence it has had on his life and work. Some of the songs from Rocky Horror -- later adapted under the name The Rocky Horror Picture Show -- were inspired by incidents in his youth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/television/news/article.cfm?c_id=339&objectid=10650583
Quote:

Rocky Horror Picture Show creator Richard O'Brien's chances of being granted New Zealand citizenship will be greatly enhanced if he actually applied for it, says the Prime Minister.

O'Brien, who was 10 when he came to New Zealand with his parents in 1952, has been told that he is not eligible for citizenship and was reportedly appealing to Immigration Minister Jonathan Coleman.

But John Key said yesterday that no application from O'Brien had been received.

"I have subsequently checked with my officials and found that Immigration has received no application from Mr O'Brien.

"My advice to Mr O'Brien is, if he wants to live permanently in New Zealand, to lodge an application with the authorities and it will be considered, as are all other applications, on its merits."

It is possible that O'Brien was advised that he did not meet requirements for citizenship or permanent residency, and did not lodge an application.

A spokesman for Dr Coleman said speculation that a request had been denied was wrong.

"Nothing has been received so there is nothing to decline."

Dr Coleman would be open to considering Mr O'Brien's case if he applied, and would treat it like every other case.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 am 
Slut
Slut

So glad his residency has been accepted. He always states that "home is where the heart is" and for him thats New Zealand :)