* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: licence isues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Hi, fellow rocky fans!

I have a legal question for you guys.

Some friends and I made a short film as a hommage to either Rocky Horror and Star Trek.
Basically we took the various settings of Rocky Horror, but let our Brad and Janet explore a space ship instead of frankenfurter's castle. For the music we took the original music as playback for our characters.

To show our film to our families and friends, no problem, but now we would like to make the film availiable for free in the internet.
I know, for the Star Trek part of our film, that's no problem. Paramount is very cooperative with the fans, but we worry about licence issues because of the Rocky music.
Does any of your guys know something about that?

Thank you all

Blech

Post subject: Re: licence isues
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

As long as it's obvious that what you're doing is a parody and there is absolutely NO MONEY to be made (that goes for soliticing donation requests for production costs or website expenses), you should be relatively safe under U.S. Copyright law for "Fair Use" and "Parody".

http://www.writersrelief.com/blog/2011/03/parody-law-for-writers-how-to-protect-your-legal-right-to-spoof/

If you adhere to the above conditions, the worst you may expect is a "Cease and Desist" from any one of the copyright holders (Paramount, Fox, music publishers.)

If you make any kind of money from the video and you didn't secure the proper copyright permissions, expect a lawsuit.