RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: rare master tapes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:40 pm 
Slut
Slut

so there I was noodling about on the net once more when i stumbled over this...

http://www.thegreatbear.net/audio-trans ... ruidcrest/

who's for starting a campaign to get them released now?

Post subject: Re: rare master tapes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

HOLY HSIT THIS IS AN AMAZING FIND.

I LOVE THE KIMI AND RITZ SINGLES!!!!!!!

ITS AMAZING HOW MANY ROCK Y HORROR SONGS WERE RECORDED AS SINGLES BEFORE AND DURING THE SHOWS FIRST RUN!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:40 am 
Groupie
Groupie

That is incredible. I've always been a fan of the Kimi and Ritz recordings. Anyone know if "Sweet Transvestite" is done as a duet or it's O'Brien on his own? Would love to hear him sing that song.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

The Sweet Transvestite single is NOT a Kimi and Ritz single but just another single produced on that label. It's actually from Peter Straker who played Frank after Tim Curry in the original London run.

Truth & Beauty (one half Perry Bedden who was there from the beginning and also played a Transylvanian) recorded a version of Touch A Touch Me which was the b-side to Touch Little Surfer Boy....and so did Belinda Sinclair who's b-side was Richard Obrien Cruade doing a freestyle There's A Light rendition.

Several Rocky Horror sings have been covered for singles and albums by many one off bands.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:04 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

@Autoamerican:
Are you sure there´s a "Sweet Transvestite"-single by Peter Straker? I have him doing "Touch me", but never even heard a ST-versin by Straker...?! (Anyone out there who has a bootleg from the early London days???)

I thought the "Sweet T." in this early 7"series was a single by Ziggy Byfield with "I´m going home" on the b-side!? He played Frank early in London and on the 1st Japan-Tour...

I wonder what the Hot Patootie versions are?

Maybe there´s something never released b4 here - I wonder what happened to the RHPS-Sword of Damoclese - versions. They recorded it with another artist for the movieproduction, but then did a re-synchro of Rocky´s songs after the filming was finished. The version we all know is Trevor White.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:37 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Rocky-Jochen-Horror wrote:

Maybe there´s something never released b4 here - I wonder what happened to the RHPS-Sword of Damoclese - versions. They recorded it with another artist for the movieproduction, but then did a re-synchro of Rocky´s songs after the filming was finished. The version we all know is Trevor White.

This version was finally released last year on the album "The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Absolute Treasures soundtrack. They released the soundtrack with previously unreleased studio tracks for Once In A While (different vocal take than the one on the 15th anniversary), Rocky's original voice (the one Peter Hinwood lip-synched to NOT the Trevor White vocal which is the film version), and Planet Schmanet Janet/Planet Hot Dog.

As far as Sweet Transvestite goes, it's a toss up. Like I said many artists covered the rocky horror show's songs during that time period. One has to question if the Ziggy byfeild version is on the Tea Richboy record label like the others since thats the label all these were pressed one with the kim and ritz singles etc. The b-side of Peter Straker's could have been touch me.

You should read Rocky Horror: From Concept to Cult. First hands accounts on everything including this subject here. that's where i've gotten most of my information.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Having been a "fan" of RHPS (Philadelphia, PA c. 1977), I just happen to have stumbled across a CD of the trailer. I love Eddie (Meatloaf's) Hot Patootie...

Further, loved the choreography to Time Warp. Whoopee... :lmao:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:03 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

[quote="autoamerican"][quote="Rocky-Jochen-Horror"]

This version was finally released last year on the album "The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Absolute Treasures soundtrack. They released the soundtrack with previously unreleased studio tracks for Once In A While (different vocal take than the one on the 15th anniversary), Rocky's original voice (the one Peter Hinwood lip-synched to NOT the Trevor White vocal which is the film version), and Planet Schmanet Janet/Planet Hot Dog.

One has to question if the Ziggy byfeild version is on the Tea Richboy record label like the others since thats the label all these were pressed one with the kim and ritz singles etc. The b-side of Peter Straker's could have been touch me.

You should read Rocky Horror: From Concept to Cult.

1.Thanks for the info on Absolute Treasures! I´ll check it out immediately!

2.The Ziggy 7" I have is not on the Teaboy-series, but it is the japan-release. There´s a UK-pressing too, but I don´t have it yet. Here´s some labelinfos from all the british rh & related recordings on vinyl-single i have from the period before the movies release:

-1971: Kimi&Ritz:Merry Christmas baby / Kimi: Eddie
Epic S EPC 1971 Druid Crest - 1973 CBS Records (repress) - Promo
A Rich Teaboy / UK Production

-1973: Original London Cast of TRHS: Time Warp / Sweet Transvestite
UK Records 1973 - Kings of England B.V. - Druid Crest

-1975: Rollox: Funky Sailor / You know what amin
PYE Records UK - Druidcrest Music
Produced by Andrew O´Bonzo for Rich Teaboy Productions

-1975: Peter Straker: Touch me / We had it all - PROMO
PYE Records UK - Danor Music/Copyright Control
Produced by Don Fraser - Release Date June 27

-1975: Ziggy Byfield: Sweet Transvestite /I´m going home
Seven Seas 1975 (Japan release)
Recorded by A STYLE RECORDS-Great Britain

-1975: Binzi (=Belinda Sinclair): Touch A Touch me Vocal / Instrumental
antic records 1975 - Made in UK
Arr.by John Sinclair-Produced by Andrew O´Bonzo for Rich Teaboy Productions

The "Binzi" versions other pressings:

-Not sure of Date!
Belinda Sinclair: Touch me Vocal / Instrumental
Victor Japan - JET
Produced and Arranged by John Sinclair for Rich Teaboy Productions

-1979: Janet: Touch me / Richard O`Brien Crusade: Over at the Fr...
-with the Andrew O`Bonzo Pillar of Sound
The Rich Teaboy Label - Made in UK - TEA 001

3. Yes, there´s great Informations in the "From Concept to Cult"-book. It several years that I read it, but i really adored the research they did!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Rocky-Jochen-Horror wrote:

-1971: Kimi&Ritz:Merry Christmas baby / Kimi: Eddie
Epic S EPC 1971 Druid Crest - 1973 CBS Records (repress) - Promo
A Rich Teaboy / UK Production
Are you sure this is from 1971? I'm pretty sure the first pressing of this song is 1973.

-1973: Original London Cast of TRHS: Time Warp / Sweet Transvestite
UK Records 1973 - Kings of England B.V. - Druid Crest

-1975: Rollox: Funky Sailor / You know what amin
PYE Records UK - Druidcrest Music
Produced by Andrew O´Bonzo for Rich Teaboy Productions

-1975: Peter Straker: Touch me / We had it all - PROMO
PYE Records UK - Danor Music/Copyright Control
Produced by Don Fraser - Release Date June 27

-1975: Ziggy Byfield: Sweet Transvestite /I´m going home
Seven Seas 1975 (Japan release)
Recorded by A STYLE RECORDS-Great Britain

-1975: Binzi (=Belinda Sinclair): Touch A Touch me Vocal / Instrumental
antic records 1975 - Made in UK
Arr.by John Sinclair-Produced by Andrew O´Bonzo for Rich Teaboy Productions

The "Binzi" versions other pressings:

-Not sure of Date![1976]
Belinda Sinclair: Touch me Vocal / Instrumental
Victor Japan - JET
Produced and Arranged by John Sinclair for Rich Teaboy Productions

-1979: Janet: Touch me / Richard O`Brien Crusade: Over at the Fr...
-with the Andrew O`Bonzo Pillar of Sound
The Rich Teaboy Label - Made in UK - TEA 001

3. Yes, there´s great Informations in the "From Concept to Cult"-book. It several years that I read it, but i really adored the research they did!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Ups, yes, you´re right - the "Merry Christmas"-Side says "Release Date: 7th Dec. 1973"and both sides say "(P)1973 CBS". But also both sides have "EPC 1971" and "1971 (DJ)A / B" printed...I´m confused...is it simply a production-number? Or is this a 1973 re-release of a 1971 7"?? Was the song "Eddie" there before TRHS? I think i remember some rumour like that...
But your 100% right, this record is 1973!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:15 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Yes that is simply a production number and NOT a copyright date!

I have personally spoken to Kimi Wong-O'Brien and has asked her these questions. She has also reiterated these answers at a Q&A in 2009 at a convention. They weren't doing Kimi & Ritz until 1973 after he wrote The Rocky Horror Show. She has said herself that the single came out in 1973. They gave away copies of the singles to the rest of the cast of Rocky Horror at the original London Production and to friends. The single was re-released again in 1974. The song charted high on their bubblegum charts. Richard specifically wrote it for the Holiday season hoping it would be as popular as it came out to be.
"Eddie" the b-side was written for the show and was added later to make the show longer. The single came out right aorund the same time as the song was integrated into the show. this was the first of many covers of a Rocky Horror tunes that followed the next two years.

Everyone should read 'From Concept To Cult'. I'm telling you all this information is there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:24 am 
Techie
Techie

There is a UK relase of the Ziggy Byfield single?

I am pretty sure there isn't a Peter Straker recording of Sweet Transvestite. At least not one that has been released. Maybe the recording on these tapes is by Peter Straker? WHo knows until they release them.
There was no mention of a Peter Straker recording of Sweet Tin Concept tp Cult as far as I remember. Only his recording of "Touch Me" is mentioned in the last chapter of the book. (I think that's how we ALL found out that existed, and immediately started searching for the single)

Last edited by sailorcartman on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:32 am 
Techie
Techie

a note: The belinda sinclair(Binzi) recording was also released on Atlantic records in Turkey and Argentina (the Turkey release has a bizzarre picture sleeve). All of the different releases of the Belinda Sinclair single have identical mixes as far as I can tell, except, of course, the 1979 release on the Rich Tea Boy label (the one with the Richard O Brien crusade version of "There's A Light" on the b side). That version is completely remixed (but the vocal is identical to the other releases as far as I can tell).