The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:13 am 
Techie
Techie

The topic today is recordings (Lp's, etc.) that are rumored to exist.

Little Nell - Hi Infidelity--the story I got on this rumored to exists recording is:

It was test pressed. A rocky collector actually got a copy of it through contacts at the pressing plant. That collector would not make a recording of it for other collectors (don't get me started on that BS). The that collector dissapeared.

Years later, in the 80's- a different collector who knew the collector that supposedly owned the "Hi Infidelity" record, was in talks with A&M to release a Little Nell compilation LP. This second collector asked A&M about "Hi Infidelity" and they confirmed it existed and they were willing to let the second collector put it on the Nell compilation LP. (The LP never came to be due to complications with Nell's people)

RHPS 7" single- Planet Schmanet Janet/Sword Of Damocles

This single was listed in the "Audience Participation" book's price guide. They were supposedly studio recordings of these songs that did not make it on to the RHPS soundtrack. Only one collector has ever claimed to won it. That would be the person who helped Sal Piro with the price guide in the book.

A French Cast LP-rumored to exist

2 different Japanese cast LP's--rumored to exist

A video recording of the Roxy cast that was supposedly found in Fox's vaults. (Yes it does make sense, to me, that they would have one since that was the time period when Lou was trying to get the film made.) Fox also supposedly had some of the costumes from the Roxy as well. This is a story that came up somewhat recently (Last year I think). A very well connected fan found the stuff in Fox storage. I don't remember why he was allowed access to Fox storage, but, he was . Anyway, he came accross the tape while searching through the old Rocky costumes Fox had in storage. He inquired about the tape and the people said there was no way he could have it. He left the tape behind and when he went back a second time, the tape had mysteriously dissapeared.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If anyone has any info on these recordings please post it here in this thread. Alternately, you can contact me privately if that's what you prefer.

I know a lot of skeptics out there are going "You're dreaming John" However, everyone thought that about the Brazilian cast LP until it surfaced on E-Bay in 2001. Also, who the hell would have guessed there was an audience recording of the entire RHS at the Belasco until it surfaced.

Ya just never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I keep meaning to ask someone about getting a copy of the Belasco audience recording. Anyone have a decent copy of it? As for the rest, no clue I'm afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:44 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

im suprised a bootleg video of the current uk tour hasn't surfaced yet!

I have heard roumoured that various soundless video clips of the original london cast exist. Does anyone know anything to back this up or dismiss it?

Jam x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:31 pm 
Techie
Techie

It would not surprise me to find out soundless clips of the original London exist. Anyone in the cast or who worked for the theatre could have brought in an 8mm or 16mm silent camera and filmed.

A friend of mine told me that he knew of someone who actually recorded the show from the audience but the tape appearantly dissapeared years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:39 am 
Virgin
Virgin

All Broadway shows make a tape for reference and promotion, so I would beleive a tape of most versions of the show was made.

As for left over Rocky Costumes, I HIGHLY doubt Fox has or EVER had anything--they sell off/toss stuff regularly, makes no professional sense to me that t hey'd still have it, let alone WHY would they have gotten costumes in the first place? Fox is the films distributor. Not like they have a box of X-Files costumes lying around, either and that was decades later whenpeople save this stuff on purpose.

Back in the late 70s, I got a handful of badges from the Roxy theater production that they used to hand out (Columbia's head) from a friend at school. Her mother was friends with someone involved in the cast and she had the original Magenta Space suit.

When the Tiffany had a big 5th anniversary party in 1980, somehow we hooked up with a guy named David James who took over as Frank after Tim Curry left and he loaned us some costumes to put on display. I seem to remember showing some of the costumes at the Hollywood Rocky Con that year too, but one of our cast memebrs walked off with it all. I think I may actually still have a pair of fishnets from the take.

As for the recordings you've mentioned, Ive never heard of any of them and can pretty much guarantee when it comes to RHPS, if they left those 2 songs off the LP intentionally, WHY would they make a single of them to tease fans who were years away from existing? The movie was acomplete flop. . I have a pic sleve promo 7", 4 song EP from RHPS dated 1975, (C) Ode Records which has Toucha-Toucha, Touch Me, Sweet Transvestite, Hot Patootie-Bless My Soul and Time Warp. That's the only single from the movie I've ever known about. If that hasnt surfaced before I can make a scan of the sleve & label to prove it if anyone needs such proof (Ive never seen Sal's book--love to know what else is in it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:45 pm 
Techie
Techie

"Let alone WHY would they have gotten costumes in the first place?"

Maybe they were thinking of using pieces in the film's production? Or just using them for reference in the costuming department? There are a number of reasons the costumes could have would up on Fox's lot and evenutally forgotten in their storage somewhere.

"And can pretty much guarantee when it comes to RHPS, if they left those 2 songs off the LP intentionally, WHY would they make a single of them to tease fans who were years away from existing? The movie was acomplete flop"

1. I have always assumed those two songs were left off for time reasons. You could only fit about 20 minutes of music on a vinyl LP before the sound quality begins to degrade severely.

2. As far as why they would even release a single when the movie was a flop, you must remember the Soundtrack did not get an official US release until 1979, after it hit in the midnight circuit. So, it was a hit at the time the soundtrack was finally released. It's totally plausable they were planning to release a single of the two songs they couldn't fit on the album.

3. I do not think the single ever got an official release as I am positive it would have turned up by now if it did. However, it is VERY possible there mere test pressings made, or very limited promotional copies pressed.

A perfect example of this is : Tim Curry "Working On My Tan" (Club Mix) (6:00). This version of the song only exists on an acetate (a record that is pressed on a material the degrades only after a few plays. Used for hearing how a record will sound once it's actually pressed before it goes to press). This 12" single acetate is owned by a collector in Austrailia. I know it exists, I have a recording of it, it's a completely different mix than the LP version. This acetate was probably pressed for some record company people or even Tim Curry himself.
So under these circumstances, it is quite possible the "Planet Schmanet/Sword Of Damocles" single exists. It did not ever get a general release, that I am sure of.

" I have a pic sleve promo 7", 4 song EP from RHPS dated 1975, (C) Ode Records which has Toucha-Toucha, Touch Me, Sweet Transvestite, Hot Patootie-Bless My Soul and Time Warp. That's the only single from the movie I've ever known about. If that hasnt surfaced before I can make a scan of the sleve & label to prove it if anyone needs such proof (Ive never seen Sal's book--love to know what else is in it)'

Thanks, but, this single is generally not hard to get. I mean, you won't walk into K-Mart and buy it, and it seems to show up with less frequency than some other Rocky records out there, however, it's not impossible to find.

There are several different pressings of singles from the soundtrack from different countires. This is not the only single released from the LP.

Thanks for your time, it's cool to hear from someone who was actually there in Rocky's infancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:51 am 
Slut
Slut

i know this is pretty late... but.. .I have a really good belasco recording... if it's of interest :oops:

Post subject: Belasco Recording
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:15 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I was, to my knowledge, the source of this recording in the Rocky community; I was the one who tracked down the sound engineer who taped it. I would be happy to offer it to RockyMusic to share -- in addition to the MP3 copy I've already shared recently, I have a lossless digital master made from the original source tape I was loaned.

Talk to me, let me know. I don't trade; I give. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:32 pm 
Techie
Techie

Really? I must have been confused as I thought Kevin Boychik was the source of this recording.

I am not calling you a liar, I was just confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:32 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

It's possible it was discovered in multiple places, certainly, but I can vouch the pedigree of my copy. My copy came from a sound engineer in the White Plains area of New York, near the end of my days editing Strange Journey (late 1992). You might remember how obsessive and singleminded I was then in my phone-calling campaigns. (Heh.) I found him the way I found most people in those days -- aggressive, relentless phone calling cold.

The individual I spoke to had a 1/4" reel set of 3/14/75, Belasco Theatre, New York City. I visited him, bribed him heavily (you might also recall my budget, back then), and he agreed to transfer the reels (marked simply "FRIDAY") onto my Maxell Chrome cassette, and onto a second Type II High-Bias listening cassette off of the same feed.

The master cassette was played twice, once to test, and once to record to PC digitally. Both the master and listening cassette have been lost, but the digital copy remains.

My recording seems to be identical to Gene Chiovari's copy, leading me to believe that the Boychik version you mention may have been sourced from the same reels. I was not able to confirm that the reels were the first-generation recording of the show, and the person in question was an engineer at the Belasco, but not the one who recorded the show that night -- he simply had the tape from that night in his library.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't have a lot of solid info on the reels I transferred. I was a teenager, and the thought of having a copy at all was mind-alteringly exciting. It's certainly possible that there's another source out there, and that my copy is merely one of many from a pool of early sources (or single early source).

I'd been under the impression I was the only supplier. If I'm wrong, well then, I apologize, and that's awesome!

EDIT: By 'identical' to Gene's, I should say instead 'matching the specifics Gene cites about his copy.' I have not heard Gene's myself, but know that he did not get it from me. I had assumed, previously, that he got it from a downchain source from me, but as I don't know Mr. Boychik at all, and he claims to have sourced a recording, heck, perhaps he's the source of the reels my contact had!

In short, sounds like you have information I don't, and my information is incomplete. I'll be uploading my copy in short order -- I'll PM you with info once it's up -- and perhaps you can shed some light on the matter after listening to it.

EDIT II, the sequel: URL's in your PM inbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:40 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The above-mentioned recording has been kindly donated by Justin, and is now online both as MP3s and lossless FLACs:

http://www.rockymusic.org/mp3scat/rhs-belascolive/

The quality is excellent (not surprising based on the source chain listed above), and it's very listenable. Some of the dialogue does get very low in volume and occasionally the audience reactions will overpower it. But certainly more than worth it to hear Richard O'Brien, Tim Curry, and Meat Loaf all on stage together!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:03 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

With regard to "Sword of Damocles" and "Planet Schmanet" being released as a single, I can only say I think I know a lot about the subject being listed in Sal's book. (I'm Mike Hess - the guy who put together the collectors list!)

I do only know of one collector who had this record. (And yes, I do believe that it was a test pressing that didn't end up with a release.) Unfortunately, he is no longer with us and I don't know what ever became of his collection.

I created the original list that was editted for the book - but had no idea that record would end up in the finished product. (There were quite a few items that never made it to print, as they were considered to be TOO rare to even be considered.)

I've never owned or won a copy of said rarity - though it would be nice! I'd also love to own a copy of the rare "Time Warp" 78rpm record. I was once told it didn't exsist, yet I saw someone win a copy at second Chicago Convention. Because it was considered a bootleg, it was not considered for the book. (I've heard stories of how it came to be, but would love to know what everyone else has heard about it!)

Mike Hess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:10 pm 
Techie
Techie

Mike Hess!!!!!

I met you back in Chicago at that convention!!!!! My name is John Davey. I don't know if you remeber me.

I can tell you about the 78. It was pressed by a shop that serviced Novelty 78 jukeboxes sometime in the late 80's There were only about 100 pressed I believe. Gene Chiovari came across them and bought as many as he could (Maybe even all of them). He sold them throughout the late 80's/very early 90's. They are all now gone and extremely diffcult to find. (I sure wish I would have bought one when Gene still had them).

It's so good to hear form you. I wonde whatever happened to you and your Rocky Horro family.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:00 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Thanks for giving me some info about the 78s. I knew I wasn't crazy! (Well maybe so, but not about this!) My father has a collectors WurliTzer Jukbox (not a mispelling - look up Wurtlizer and that's the spelling for the company - juke boxes and organs!) I was hoping to get one or two (as his j.b. doesn't flip records) to include Time Warp and flip side. I thought it would be neat. (does anyone use the word neat anymore?)

I DO remember you! I think we even sat together and shared a cigarette with T.J. Teer (Might be wrong??) Tons of pictures from that convention that I'll share with you from original negs. if you want.

Many regards - and thanks for the information about the 78s. This is different from the story I had heard. But just as good!!!

Contact me anytime - I love to hear from old friends, old fans and remember old times (good and bad!)

Mike Hess
mikehess1@juno.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:48 am 
Techie
Techie

The recent discovery of Little Nell's long-lost "High Fidelity" music video does lend some credibility to the possibility of a 'High Infidelity' LP existing....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:08 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

sailorcartman wrote:
Little Nell - Hi Infidelity--

RHPS 7" single- Planet Schmanet Janet/Sword Of Damocles

A French Cast LP-rumored to exist

2 different Japanese cast LP's--rumored to exist

A video recording of the Roxy cast

As far as High Fildelity goes it seems that the video circulating was probably made for TV and not exactly a promo video like her Do The Swim and Stilletoes & Lipstick were. It may even have been a one off project for them. It could very well exist on a test pressing since she did release half a dozen singles with varrying pressings/promo copies.

I'm a huge Little Nell fan and I must admit I've never heard of this before or read about it in any of my material which leads me to believe it was one of those random projects they collaborated on that never went anywhere. ANyone know who was responsible for the video surfacing? It was never even shown at any of the conventions either.

The Planet Schmanet/Sword of Damocles single has every probablility of existing. I used to think it didn't but now with the release of 2011's Absolute Treasures MP3 Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack which finally included the studio recordings of Sword of Damocles and Planet Schmanet Janet & Planet Hot Dog as well as an alternate vocal take of Barry's Once In A While; leads me to believe it does exist after all. Why in th eworld did Fox or Rhino whoever has the controlling rights to the soundtrack wait so long to give us these studio recordings? It seems fitting they would have been included in the 15th Anniversary box Set which featured many rare and never before heard material.

The french cast LP i think is a bootleg of sorts and the Japanese make so many rarities as far as rocky goes. I'm still waiting for a copy of the Original Japanese video version of Rocky that according to the Audience Participation collector's guide says exists a version that "has been re-colorized and the sound has been re-mixed. (you'll hear things in this version you will never hear from another source)"

I own the 4-song EP which was released around 1979. I believe the SOundtrack was released in the US though in late 1978 not 1979. I have print ads for the soundtrack dating that time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:26 pm 
Techie
Techie

. I'm still waiting for a copy of the Original Japanese video version of Rocky that according to the Audience Participation collector's guide says exists a version that "has been re-colorized and the sound has been re-mixed. (you'll hear things in this version you will never hear from another source)"

Are you referring to the original 80's VHS releases? (also rumored to have been released on Laser Disc, which is what IM looking for)
Im not sure about the re-colorization. However, the 1985 and 1988 VHS releases DO have an amazing mix of the ORIGINAL MONO soundtrack on them. Gene Chiovari claims the sound is so different becasue the Japanese actually took the time to run the soundtrack through the proper Dolby decoders when they mastered the audi for the release. It is the best sounding source for the original mono Now, if that laserdisc exists, then, we could get a copy of that mix without the tape hiss from the VHS. That would be nice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:31 pm 
Techie
Techie

Maybe the color on the Japanese release was the best of its time? Id have to compare it to other foreign VHS releases of the time. In this day and age, being on VHS and all, I cannot see how whatever the color job they did on that release could compare to the Blu Ray. (except , of course, the fact that the Japanese release DOES have the proper tinting for Brads Bedroom, Janets "Whats Happening Here" and the flashback scenes. Ti also will have Herbie the flea! haha!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

sailorcartman wrote:
Maybe the color on the Japanese release was the best of its time? Id have to compare it to other foreign VHS releases of the time. In this day and age, being on VHS and all, I cannot see how whatever the color job they did on that release could compare to the Blu Ray. (except , of course, the fact that the Japanese release DOES have the proper tinting for Brads Bedroom, Janets "Whats Happening Here" and the flashback scenes. Ti also will have Herbie the flea! haha!)

No, it' wasn't that it was a great transfer of the film...it was that it was "re-colorized" meaning they recolored the film using different colors like a technicolor. Franks corset has a different a different tint along with Columbia's costume. Etc. recolored. Have you hever seen the Japanese Poster??? yeah recolored like that.

A recent search of Ebay on reveals the Japanese 20th anniversary laserdisc for now.

I've also beentrying to get a hold of the original UK vhs release. Has mono sound and superheroes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 pm 
Techie
Techie

autoamerican wrote:
sailorcartman wrote:

No, it' wasn't that it was a great transfer of the film...it was that it was "re-colorized" meaning they recolored the film using different colors like a technicolor. Franks corset has a different a different tint along with Columbia's costume. Etc. recolored. Have you hever seen the Japanese Poster??? yeah recolored like that.

A recent search of Ebay on reveals the Japanese 20th anniversary laserdisc for now.

I've also beentrying to get a hold of the original UK vhs release. Has mono sound and superheroes.

Oooohh...nooo. its not recolored like that. At all.

Are you in the USA? If so, the big poblem with the Original UK VHS is the sound gets sped up in the PAL to NTSC conversion. Otherwise that woud be the best source for the original mono soundtrack. Because of this one flaw the Japanese beats it out.