RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Best Productions of RHS
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

what are the best productions of RHS that you have seen?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:52 am 
Groupie
Groupie

Hands down a Houston Texas production done in the late 80's at a nightclub called Rockefeller's (the building of which, irrelevant as it is to this post, was a bank, and the exterior still had gunshot holes from a robbery by Bonnie and Clyde). Just a terrific production with a strong cast and an excellent band. They re-arranged the order of Sweet Transvestite and the Time Warp, but this was the only concession to the movie. In fact, even that kind of worked, since they just skipped from the line right before "Master" to the lines immediately after Frank's exit, undressed Brad and Janet, had the dialogue about Eddie, did the Time Warp. Then right after, they shouted "Master!" and Frank appeared. This arrangement of the text gave a nice extra meaning to Frank turning to a half naked Brad and Janet and saying "You look like you're both pretty groovie." It was, I believe, the first production anywhere to feature a female Narrator, and she was terrific. It's also the only production I've seen that came up with a workable production concept that didn't use the old cinema concept (which I still think is the way the show should usually be staged). I saw it three times, and even that was tough, since I was a high school senior and they didn't want anyone under 21 there, as it was a nightclub. Had I been of age, I would have gone many more times. Just wonderful.