RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Recent video highlights
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Since I've been adding so many videos of late, I just wanted to highlight some of the more interesting (to me at least) bits.

Rocky Horror Show
* 2008/09 European Tour Commercial - A really nice 30-second TV spot for the current European production of RHS. "Reloaded by Richard O'Brien"

Little Nell Topless... Again
* Lisztomania (1975) - I'd seen this previously on VHS, but I hadn't realized the original film used such an extremely wide 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This was transferred from the widescreen laserdisc, so you can actually see everything that's going on. The film has not been released on DVD, though it looks like a Region 2 release is scheduled for May this year. Naturally Little Nell is topless for the entirety of her part in this film. And Ringo Starr was a pretty amusing casting choice for The Pope.
* Summer of Secrets (1976) - Jim Sharman directed this Australian film and Little Nell actually has a co-starring role. This might prompt you to wonder if she was ever able to run around topless like she normally does, and sure enough here she is in a bathing scene.

Richard O'Brien
* Spice World (1997) - I'll admit that this movie is a guilty pleasure of mine, though I made a friend of mine buy theater tickets for me when it first came out since I was too embarrassed. This scene with Richard crawling up out of a toilet is so worth it, though...:-)
* Elvira's Haunted Hills (2001) - Richard plays Lord Vladimere Hellsubus, across from Elvira as his wife Elura. I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe when I first saw this particular flashback segment of the film, with Lord Hellsubus trying to cheer up his wife.
* Night Train (2009) - Richard has a cross-dressing role as Mrs. Froy in this recent film.

Hugely Upgraded
* Little Nell - I Wanna Be A Beauty Queen (1980) - It's actually been released on DVD, believe it or not! Amazon has it now.
* Drew Carey Show - "New York And Queens" (1997) - They still haven't released the second season on DVD, but I was able to find a much better source for this than the typical YouTube crap. If you haven't seen this before, Drew Carey and company decide to go see Rocky Horror but find that it's been replaced by The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert (which has its own cadre of costumed fans). A dance-off ensues between The Time Warp and Shake Your Groove Thing. I love things that combine multiple obsessions of mine!

Other Film Clips
* Sebastiane (1976) - Patricia Quinn, Peter Hinwood, and Little Nell all have cameos in this one scene. Peter Hinwood looks exactly the same as he did for Rocky Horror. Little Nell is really difficult to spot, for once (hint: she's not the one having her thigh stroked by Peter Hinwood... that's actually punk icon Jordan). Dialogue is in Latin, and the rest of the movie is devoted primarily to naked male soldiers cavorting with each other.
* Connie and Carla (2004) - I completely love this film, written by Nia Vardalos ("My Big Fat Greek Wedding"). Really anybody who likes drag queens and musical theater (which should be just about everybody around here!) needs to watch this movie. It also happens to have this one drag queen audition skit done to The Time Warp.

Other Television Clips
* The Brady Hour (with Paul Williams) - That's right, the Brady Bunch had a variety hour program... briefly. In its final 1976 episode, Paul Williams turns up to sing "The Hell Of It" from 'Phantom of the Paradise'.
* That '70s Show - "Too Old to Trick or Treat, Too Young to Die" - I kind of liked this Halloween 2000 episode. Fez is wearing a Dr. Frank-N-Furter costume for the entire episode... even when he's in a wheelchair. Most of the episode is actually a Hitchcock spoof though.
* Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - "Some of My Best Friends are Half-Mortal" - Still a really crappy show, regardless of any Rocky Horror references. In this particular episode (also from 2000), Sabrina's aunt is apparently trying to hurry off to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Sabrina ends up in a Magenta costume. I'm sure the rest of the show was terrible... I didn't bother to check.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

For Meat Loaf fans:

Meat Loaf Live Performances
* Meat Loaf live in Dortmund, Germany (December 19th, 1981) - His voice is really rough here, I'm afraid. He's supposed to have kicked the cocaine habit by the time they started work on 'Dead Ringer' in 1980, but he still looks like a bit of a wreck at this time. All songs performed are Jim Steinman songs, and female vocals are by Pamela Moore (later known as "Sister Mary" for 'Operation: Mindcrime' by Queensryche). Coincidentally, this concert takes place exactly two weeks after his Saturday Night Live appearance with Tim Curry. This was recorded for German television, and you can trust Meat Loaf to take a half hour television program and perform a total of three songs on it!
* Meat Loaf live on The Tube (February 8th, 1985) - "The Tube" was a U.K. television program on Channel 4. All songs performed are off the 1984 'Bad Attitude' album (no Jim Steinman songs, unfortunately). Meat Loaf has the '80s feathered hair thing going on, and his voice sounds hugely improved from the Dortmund performance.
* Meat Loaf live in London (1987) - The Meltdown concert. He performs a mix of songs - three Jim Steinman tracks from from the Bat Out Of Hell (1977) and Dead Ringer (1981) albums plus other songs off the Bad Attitude (1984) and Blind Before I Stop (1986) albums. He's rocking the white fringe jacket for awhile there, and again his voice sounds fantastic here in the late '80s. Female vocals are by sisters Amy and Elaine Goff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Television Clips
* Cold Case "Creatures of the Night" (Part 1 and Part 2) - This entire episode of 'Cold Case' is centered around The Rocky Horror Picture Show, with several clips from the film, numerous songs from the soundtrack being played during flashback segments, and to top it all off Barry Bostwick playing the serial killer Roy Brigham Anthony (while also appearing on-screen as Brad Majors). A must-see for any Rocky Horror fan, whether you usually enjoy police dramas or not! Originally aired on May 1st, 2005.

NOTE: I feel very awkward posting an entire episode from a fairly recent show like this. However it appears that CBS is unable to release DVDs for this particular series, due to the huge numbers of songs they would have to license that are used to set the timeframe in flashbacks. You can see this for yourself in this episode, which uses about half of the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack at various points.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:50 am 
Slut
Slut

I have to admit, I really like the series, but that's the weirdest one i've seen in a while! I usually am only limited to catching particular ones after work.... and the acting was top notch....(hah!)

thanks shawn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

2001 Broadway Cast
* Time Warp (2001-04-20) - Featuring Joan Jett as Columbia. Upgraded video from previous source (it's still the same crappy original bootleg video though, so don't expect miracles). Includes the Joan Jett guitar solo she would play instead of the traditional tap dance.
* Sweet Transvestite (2001-09-09) - Featuring Terrence Mann as Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Not quite as bad of a bootleg this time - it at least leaves people's faces visible in the spotlight.
* Time Warp (2001-11-18) - Featuring Sebastian Bach (from Skid Row) as Riff Raff. Another bootleg video with the usual associated problems (spotlight washout and obstructed views).
* Over At The Frankenstein Place [reprise] (2001-11-18) - Also featuring Sebastian Bach as Riff Raff. They actually added this bit at the very beginning of Act Two specifically for Sebastian Bach.

The Crystal Maze
* Season One Episode One: Part 1 and Part 2 - The premiere episode of the phenomenally popular U.K. game show hosted by Richard O'Brien. It includes a rare game involving a Crystal Maze inhabitant other than Richard or his 'Mumsie', where they find the sleeping princess at the center of a mirror maze (she's actually the producer's daughter). Amusingly, 40% of the viewing audience for The Crystal Maze turned out to be aged 16 years or younger... assumedly because they enjoyed watching all the adults making complete fools out of themselves.

Saturday Night Live
* Meat Loaf - All Revved Up with No Place to Go (1978) - Host Christopher Lee gives a hilariously awkward introduction where he fucks up reading Meat Loaf's name off the cue card: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, I would like you to meet... Loaf!". Tour singer Karla DeVito appears also.
* Meat Loaf - Two out of Three Ain't Bad (1978) - Jim Steinman himself plays piano here (uncredited).
* Barry Humphries as Dame Edna (1977) - Appearing here with host Madeline Khan (R.I.P.).

Meat Loaf Live Concerts
* Meat Loaf live in New Haven, Connecticut (March 1991) - Shot on a single camera by the stage crew, with sound patched in from the soundboard. Meat performs mostly Jim Steinman songs, with just one song each off of Midnight at the Lost and Found (1983) and Blind Before I Stop (1986). The show finishes up with a medley of classic rock'n'roll covers (e.g. "Johnny B. Goode", "Jailhouse Rock", "Roll Over Beethoven"). Female vocals are by sisters Amy and Elaine Goff, with Amy taking the lead for Paradise By The Dashboard Light.
* Meat Loaf live at Night of the Proms 2001 - These are some terrifically beautiful shows recorded for television at various venues across Europe, with a full symphony orchestra on stage (plus a full choir for Home By Now/No Matter What). All songs are by Jim Steinman, and lead female vocals are by Patti Russo (by far my favorite touring partner of his). Pearl Aday sings backup vocals again. I still can't believe that they individually miked every single member of the choir though... that's just insane.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:41 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Added a few more clips from "Spicks and Specks", an Australian television music-themed quiz show. Both Richard O'Brien and Little Nell made guest appearances last year (Nell twice in fact, though her return appearance wasn't nearly as wild as the first).

Richard O'Brien (2008-02-27)
* Introduction - What inspired you to write a musical about an alien transvestite that came to Earth and had sex with everyone?" They talk about how The Rocky Horror Picture Show came about, and show a couple photos of Riff Raff in the movie and as a statue in Hamilton, New Zealand.
* Time Warp - Things go awry toward the end of the show and Richard ends up singing The Time Warp during closing credits. The other panelists as well as the show's host, Adam Hills, all get into the act. Great fun!

Little Nell (2008-07-16)
* Introduction - "Nell, a lot of people would know you as Little Nell." "I grew." They talk about how she was originally cast for the part of Columbia in The Rocky Horror Show, and show a clip of her tapdancing during Time Warp in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
* Do The Swim - "If ever you've seen one of those blooper TV shows from the '80s, there was a clip of Nell singing Do The Swim... can you explain what happened?" Little Nell talks about the repeated wardrobe malfunctions in her 1975 appearance on the London Weekend Show (which she can't actually remember the name of). They then have a fellow (male) panelist re-enact what this might have looked like, in lieu of showing the actual clip. Hilarious!

And just in case you hadn't already seen it, the uncensored version of Nell's fateful Do The Swim appearance that they said they couldn't get a clip of is available here courtesy of John Davey: http://www.rockymusic.org/showvideo/29cd578f2401e26a74dd353ff68da830.php.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Meat Loaf Live Concerts
* Meat Loaf live in London 1985 - An over the top (even for Meat) show at the Brixton Academy in London, from 1985. This is from the 'Bad Attitude' tour, recorded for broadcast by the BBC, and they're using an enormous motorcycle as a set piece that takes up the entire stage. Meat comes out in a black leather jacket and for the last two songs transitions to... a shiny metallic gold shirt? An interesting choice. Also, I think I've discovered that Kati Mac is my least favorite tour singing parter of his.
* Meat Loaf live in New York City 1999 - Well done relatively short (by live Meat Loaf standards) performances recorded for television at the Hard Rock Cafe. All songs except one (I'd Lie For You, from Welcome to the Neighbourhood) are by Jim Steinman, and lead female vocals are by the wonderful Patti Russo. For Paradise By The Dashboard Light, they get dressed up in their wedding formals. Pearl Aday, Meat's daughter, also sings backup vocals.