The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I recently found a number of good sources for a large portion of Particia Quinn's body of work in both film and television (BBC and ITV). If you look at the overall category, I believe every video except one (the short Monty Python's Meaning of Life clip) is new:

http://www.rockymusic.org/videoscat/pat-quinn/

Of these many clips, some of the most memorable for me (in chronological order):

* Van der Valk (1972, "Destroying Angel") - Patricia Quinn plays a dominatrix in an episode of this ITV detective series. The detectives force their way into her apartment, where she's with a 'client' prior to questioning her.
* Shoulder to Shoulder (1974, "Annie Kenney") - A substantial early television role for Patricia Quinn in this BBC series about the women's suffrage movement in Britain. She plays Christabel Pankhurst in all six episodes. I only have clips from Episode Two here, which focuses on a mill worker who joins the cause. They wind up being arrested together.
* Hawk the Slayer (1980) - Patricia Quinn plays "Woman", a fairly significant role despite the lack of a proper name, in this cheesy swords and sorcery film. If you do nothing else, you have to watch Part 4 for the awesome (*cough*) special effects, including Pat taking out a guard with a silly string blowgun! I shit you not!
* Hammer House of Horror (1980, "Witching Time") - My favorite! Patricia Quinn is featured as a witch from the past who has escaped death by traveling into the present time. She's barely clothed most of the time (and entirely unclothed some of the time), quite wicked, is a seductress, and laughs an awful lot. They even record her laughter on tape and play it back at one point. What a great role for Pat!
* Fortunes of War (1987) - This one's rather tragic, actually. In this BBC novel adaptation she plays Mona Castlebar, husband of Bill Castlebar who is played by Robert Stephens. Some years later in January 1995, Patricia Quinn would marry Robert Stephens in real life. Apparently they were already a couple at the time this was filmed. In Episode 7 Bill Castlebar falls sick and dies. We then see Mona Castlebar at his funeral. The tragic foreshadowing is that Patricia Quinn would also be widowed by Robert Stephens in real life, in November 1995.

And some details on the rest, going chronologically again:

* Up the Chastity Belt (1971) - One of Patricia Quinn's earliest film roles, she has a bit part in this Frankie Howerd comedy vehicle as "Wife". Her husband is going off to the Crusades and wants to procure a chastity belt for her.
* Up the Front (1972) - Another bit part in another Frankie Howerd comedy film vehicle. Patricia Quinn plays the maid of Mata Hari (played by Zsa Zsa Gabor!). She actually has another scene even smaller than this one, where she's just glimpsed through a keyhole canoodling with the Sergeant Major. I didn't bother to post that two seconds or so.
* The Alf Garnett Saga (1972) - A slightly larger film role for Patricia Quinn, though her official name is still just "Bird #2". She and another woman are romantic interests for Alf Garnett's son-in-law and a friend. My favorite bit is in Part 3, where her Irish accent is particularly thick.
* A Christmas Carol (1977) - A nice role for Patricia Quinn as the Ghost of Christmas Past in the Dickens classic, broadcast on the BBC. Sir Michael Horndern plays Ebenezer Scrooge.
* The Professionals (1978, "Look After Annie") - Patricia Quinn plays Isla in an episode of this ITV crime action drama series. She and a man are campaign workers for a politician. They both happen to be plotting her murder though, and are secret lovers as well. Pat's good at being wicked.
* Fox (1980, "King Billy" and "Arched Fingers for Bach, Flat Fingers for Love") - Patricia Quinn plays Liz in a couple episodes of this ITV series. She stabs her lover (one of the Fox family members) in a rage at one point, and then wanders the streets afraid to face either him or her husband. Her lover finally finds her and comforts her, apparently recovered from his stab wound.
* Tales of the Unexpected (1980, "The Stinker") - Patricia Quinn plays Phyl Tinker, wife of Harold Tinker (played by Denholm Elliott) in an episode of this ITV series. He's been offered a job by an old schoolmate who used to torment him, and is being 'encouraged' to take it by his wife. Pat really tarts it up in Part 2 at a dinner party with the prospective new boss.
* Minder (1982, "Rembrandt Doesn't Live Here Anymore") - Patricia Quinn plays Monica in an episode of this ITV criminal drama series. She's providing work and living space for a painter ex-lover of hers, who is painting forgeries. The best part wouldn't really work as a video clip unfortunately. She disapproves of the forgeries, so she paints a small addition to the one he's working on which we don't see for quite some time. The minder (i.e. bodyguard) notices it but his boss keeps telling him to be quiet, so he continues the sale of the forgery. The new owner finally notices that one of the people in this supposedly old painting is wearing a Timex watch.
* The Box of Delights (1984) - Patricia Quinn plays Sylvia Daisy Pouncer, the partner of Abner Brown (played by Robert Stephens), in several episodes of this BBC children's novel adaptation. As mentioned previously, Patricia Quinn and Robert Stephens were a real life couple as well at the time this was being filmed and would marry slightly over a decade later in 1995.
* Bergerac (1988, "Crossed Swords") - One of Patricia Quinn's last couple television roles (thus far), she plays hotel owner Dolly Hayward in this BBC detective series.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 pm 
Techie
Techie

Bless you, good sir, for gracing your site with MORE nudie clips of our Magenter. :-P

Incidentally, it's really great to see those clips of Pat with her natural brown hair... I've been dying to see something like that ever since I saw the RHPS promo pic (in the 15th Anniversary boxed set) where she didn't have the red dye spray in her hair.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

That reminds me, I need to make some clips of Nell from Jubilee at some point also. ;) I actually bought the Criterion Collection DVD for it awhile back. I've never been a big fan of the movie itself, but it does have both Richard O'Brien and Little Nell in it so it's hard for me to stay away. As well as Patricia Quinn's son I recently found out, Quinn Hawkins (Don Hawkins being Pat's first husband).

P.S. Speaking of celebrity nudity, there's an amusing story about that from this site that I haven't shared much. Some of you old-timers may remember that I once had an adjunct site called "Rocky Horror Exposed!". You can see the archived version of it here: http://www.rockymusic.org/OLD/nudes/. One of only two official contacts I've ever had regarding content on RockyMusic.org was from Jessica Harper's lawyers, demanding that I take down topless photos of her from Inserts (1974). My assumption was that they were trying to clean up her Internet image due to her later career path in children's music. I took the photos down of course since I didn't really care that much about it either way. And I still have the cease and desist letter sitting around in a box somewhere as a souvenir.

P.P.S. If you were wondering, the other official contact was an e-mail from Andy Leighton around the time they were working on the Absolute O'Brien CD. He asked me to take down a few Disgracefully Yours MP3s in the nicest way you can imagine, while simultaneously giving official permission to leave all the various Andrew O'Bonzo MP3s online. This was of course before Absolute O'Brien became a jazz album. At the time they still thought it was going to be all the songs from Disgracefully Yours I think, prior to Richard having his apparent epiphany during filming for Dark City.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:53 am 
Techie
Techie

Don't feel bad - I think Jessica herself went after the 'Naughty Nurses' page on the old version of Shock Treatment Network, also because of "Inserts" caps.

That page was a bit disturbing anyway... who the hell wants to see the coffee dude naked? Shit, no.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:24 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

oh i do so wish that Pat was in more movies! its a waste of talent! she's a wonderful actress! D':
the worst part is i'm trying to find her movies and i can't find many of them! talk about sad ): what a waste of her talent! poor Pat!

--Magenta