The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

With many thanks to Aidan Strange who contributed this and did a lot of work cleaning up the audio, we now have a MP3 sound file for "The Moon Drenched Shores of Transylvania" from Revenge of the Old Queen (an unproduced sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show):

MP3 REMOVED

This was to be the introductory song for the movie (its SF/DF equivalent), and was co-written by Richard O'Brien (lyrics) and Richard Hartley (music) around 1989-1991. It was recorded onto a demo tape along with the song "Never Let Your Daughter Date An Alien", with backing vocals apparently provided by Zalie Burrow and Kate O'Sullivan. They were both actresses in the touring production of The Rocky Horror Show around that time, and mentioned their part in the demo tape at the Transylvania 1992 convention in London.

If you compare this song against the rough draft script, you'll see that the lyrics match up pretty well though they have been reordered a lot. Aidan states that he remastered the song slightly and amplified the vocals from the original which was in very bad shape. There was also a lot of feedback in most of the introduction music, which was removed entirely as unrescuable in this mix (he's still attempting to save it). I realize that this song was also broadcast on Rocky Radio last month, but this appears to just be a coincidence in timing as this sound file is from an entirely different source. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by Riff Raff on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Moon Drenched Shores
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:26 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Hiya Everybody

Just to say I have nearly finished the edit for the introduction and I will be emailing it to Shawn/Riff a.s.a.p.

Thanks
Aidan Strange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I've updated the MP3 with Aidan's "final" mix, which has the introduction restored. It's in the same location as before:

MP3 REMOVED

Thanks to Aidan again!

Last edited by Riff Raff on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:07 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but that "final" version is a fake.

That is NOT the original intro to Moon-Drenched, nor is it the proper fade-out....it doesn't sound ANYTHING like the original.

Anyone with decent hearing can tell that the new beginning was cut and pasted from an instrumental break halfway through the song. Same goes for the fade.

I'd post a copy of the real intro to prove the point, but then you'd be able to make a better copy and I don't want to feed the fire.

I don't know where you got this song, Aidan, but I can take a wild guess. You should give proper credit to the true source of the track.

Like I said, I don't want to spoil the Old Queen party for everyone; it's great that there is a (phony) version of the demo for people to hear. But I just think Shawn should know that he is being duped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:06 am 
Virgin
Virgin

This message is now obsolete, I have made some very large mistakes over the last couple of days.

the whole point of what I was trying to do was to use existing material in the song to re-create the original sound, if you read the post, you will se that the introduction in the original source I used was practically non-existant therefore I had to use patches from the instrumental break to recreate it. The cassette tape the original was on had other songs recorded on it and they bleed through into the introduction and at the end, I personally am not happy with the end fade as all I could do was stretch the signal then fade the result, leaving it very jumpy and mechanical sounding.

If you listen to the rockyradio copy, you can hear the original introduction (which is what I used as my guide to recreating my introduction) but unfortunately, I couldn't patch this in as it has speech over the top. I, in my remastering attempted to create the most accurate sample of the introduction as I could but it isn't perfect as you so politely pointed out.

The term remastering essentially means taking your existing sources and trying to make something that sounds as much like the original music as possible, this is what I was trying to do.

feel free to post your copy, the only thing i was trying to do here was to make the song available to the general rocky community.

"I can take a wild guess"
I don't know what you are implying by this but I would certainly like to know.

Heavy editing, by it's very nature is a risky process, not helped by the fact I had to do it all manually with essentially no reference guide.

Finally, Shawn was aware at every stage of the process what I was doing and supported me, if he had thought at any time I should just leave the file alone then I would have done.

To reiterate, I am aware that this is not the expert pro quality you expect from a studio recording but I have done my best in the remastering process. If anybody else has a better copy then I am happy for mine to be replaced, after all this is not a forum for showing off technical wizardry but for the appreciation of the music of Rocky Horror. Nor is it a competition.

Last edited by aidan on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:31 am 
Virgin
Virgin

<<the whole point of what I was trying to do was to use existing material <<in the song to re-create the original sound,

I completely understand what it is you are doing and I really have no issue with that. But you are claiming to have a different source on a cassette tape. I do not believe that claim. Every piece of this track was taken from the RockyRadio broadcast.

<<The term remastering essentially means taking your existing sources <<and trying to make something that sounds as much like the original <<music as possible,

Not necessarily. Putting on a different beginning and ending is not "remastering"---if Jimmy Page went and put on a new intro to 'Stairway To Heaven' it would not be a "remastered" version.

<<this is what I was trying to do.

Like I said, I understand what you tried to do. It's very simple. You wanted to make a clean version of the track with no traces of the source you got it from. So you and others can enjoy the song without hearing the RockyRadio flags. It's kinda shady, but perfectly understandable all the same. This I have no problem with. It's the fact that you are not being honest about where you're getting the song. (Unfortunately you missed some of the flags that were placed in the sound file.)

<<Finally, Shawn was aware at every stage of the process what I was <<doing and supported me, if he had thought at any time I should just <<leave the file alone then I would have done.

I doubt that in all the years Shawn has run this website he would support ripping off a song from another source without giving any credit to the person who originally provided it. I'm guessing that he wasn't aware of the RockyRadio broadcast and took you for your word.

However, if you are correct...if Shawn is aware of the fact that this is just a re-doctored track from RockyRadio and he's not going to give proper credit where credit is due than I've lost all respect for Shawn as a fellow audio enthusiast.

It's not the fact that the song is up that gives me pause, it's simply that this is NOT the actual version of the track. It's a sloppy cut and paste job that is being toted as the real thing.

The source of this track is 100% from the RockyRadio broadcast.

If you really did get this from a cassette tape, why not upload a copy of the original "un-remastered" tape: warts and all? Let's hear the original source you claim to have before you re-worked it.

Let's hear the cassette tape as it sounds with it's poor quality and bleed-over from other songs and I'll happily admit that I was wrong.

But the file that is up on Rockymusic right now is a fake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:30 am 
Virgin
Virgin

ah I apologise, I thought you were putting down the philosophy.

I used the rockyradio version to patch over some bits but i must have missed any tags

I'm on the laptop at the moment so I won't b able to upload it until my pc is better which should be around 7ish in britain (11 in america, assuming that is where you live)

hopefully i will be able to convince you otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:21 am 
Groupie
Groupie

oh my gawd... both of you shut the _____ up!

This, "my dick is bigger than your dick", ego arguing is totally immature and unnecessary.

Who cares where anyone got anything? The point is that we get to enjoy the song that most aren't aware of or even had the sources to hear until now that it has been put on 'rockymusic.org'

If you [KimiAndRitz] do have a better source of The Moon Drenched Shores Of Transylvania then why don't you submit it here so everyone can share in Richard Obrien's work which is why we are all here on 'rockymusic.org' in the first place. This is no place to be stengy considering how hard all of us work hard at collecting and compiling all the RHPS related material.

So...thank you [Aidan] for posting this rare song up here for all of us Rocky Horror Enthusiasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:08 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Alrighty, I wanted to give Aidan some time to defend himself but I've gone ahead and removed the MP3 he had sent in. I was reluctant to accept Cosmo's insistence that it had been recreated purely from the Rocky Radio broadcast due to our past history of personal conflict, but I trust Kevin Boycik's judgement implicitly. I haven't been able to investigate in more detail on my own since my copy of Sound Forge is on my other computer at home here, and it hasn't been working for the past week due to a fried video card (which I should be replacing in a couple days).

I obviously had no idea Aidan had done this. I received the MP3 by e-mail out of the blue, and was happy to post it. It wasn't until I started doing some serious searching online for info on the demo tape that I noticed Rocky Radio had broadcast the same track in August. I mentioned this to Aidan, but he just said that "I did use some clips from it to patch over the bad bits on my copy". So I thought it was just a coincidence. I've seen similar things happen in Rocky circles before, so it wasn't just wishful thinking.

Additionally it was rightly pointed out to me that, different from just about everything else on RockyMusic, this was actually a work in progress that was never intended for anyone's ears but a few execs at 20th Century Fox. So due to both this and the uncertainty regarding the track's origins, I've removed it here. You can still listen to the Rocky Radio episode that includes it (for now):

http://www.rockyradioonline.com/shows/cleveland2.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:26 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I would just like to apologise to the general Rocky community for my error of judgement.

I hope the matter is now resolved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:48 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

"this was actually a work in progress that was never intended for anyone's ears but a few execs at 20th Century Fox."

For the record, that statement also applies to the entire ROTOQ script...for what it's worth....

Matteo
azrocky.com

"The darkness must go down the river of night's dreaming, flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming into my life..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Aye, I thought about that also. The ROTOQ script has been widely available on the Internet for a decade now though, as one of the worst kept secrets of the Rocky Horror newsgroup. I can't see how one web site more or less with it will affect anything, at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I wasn't complaining; I'm glad both of these items have been available (albeit briefly in the second case). Just making the comparison. It's out now, regardless.

"The darkness must go down the river of night's dreaming, flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming into my life..."

Post subject: leave him alone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:34 am 
Virgin
Virgin

i think aidan was being very generous and doing a service to the community by making a listenable version of this. so stop being prats and bitching about him, it is really quite childish you bozos. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:56 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I just joined the site, and am loving it. Just discovered Rocky Horror and Shock Treatment. Would anyone be willing to PM the song in question ? I'd love to hear it !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:59 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Yeah, can I please hear it too? I haven't had chance to hear any Revenge Of The Queen songs...Thank God they didn't release it out on film though, what was Richard thinking when he wrote it? It's still not a Rocky Horror script because it only has Riff Raff and Janet in it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 am 
Techie
Techie

So wait, is the demo that Rocky Radio aired legitimate, or just a fan's fake??

I get that this guy made a remix of that and passed it off as a different version, but what about the RR version?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's legit, so far as we know. Zalie Burrow and Kate O'Sullivan specifically talked about singing backup vocals for it during their Q&A session at the Transylvania '92 convention.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:43 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Do you still have the music? Becuse i wood love to heare it.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:00 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Revenge Of The Old Queen would have never worked anyway! It would only be good if Richard took full control of everything in the movie and changed the horrid script! I must say when I read it, I binned it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:04 am 
Groupie
Groupie

i found it on youtube!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:07 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

[quote="willowfaierie"]i found it on youtube![/quote]

Thank you very much....I love it as a track! Hmm, makes you wonder what they could have done with such a terrible script.