The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: 2000 Revival Score
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:13 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Hello RH junkies,

I'm planning on directing/chorographing a amatuer production of the RHS up here in Vermont. I understand the Samual French version is the original score, however I would like to use the revival score since it has such great background vocals. Does anyone know how one can procure the revival score.
Thank You
Scott

Post subject: Re: 2000 Revival Score
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:52 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Hey Scottbear,

Two thoughts. One, the current script available from Samuel French is not the original script but the one with all the (blech!) accumulations that have developed over the years and usually part of all the revivals. Lines from the movie, a chorus of phantoms, and I think even "Sweet Transvestite" and "Time Warp" reversed to follow their order in the movie. Plus the awful addition for Riff-Raff "He's a credit to my, er, you're genius, master." Okay, enough of my editorializing. My point is, the orchestrations provided by Samuel French might also be from this version, too, and therefore the ones you want.

But a second point. Professional productions often create their own unique orchestrations. So the arragenments you want might not readily be available anywhere.

I'd suggest getting the arragnements from Samuel French first (they must have a trial period, during which you can peruse the material to see if you wnat to lease it). If they are not the same, you might try contacting the production company who produced that revival and ask if the song charts are available.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:47 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Thank you joevitus, :D

Yeah I know I'll be editing a little of the script. I ordered the score a month early to see if it is the original score or the revival score. If my musical friends find it too hard to add the background vocals I do know of two sites on the net that you can get b______ market revival scores.
And as you suggested contacting the production company to see if the song charts are available.
Thabks again guy.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Glad I could help. By the way, it's my impression that arrangers do not have the same problem with their work being used "out of copywrite" so to speak, the way authors do. I may be wrong about this, but I know at least one orchestrator in a regional area who always augments the scores he recieves with what he picks up by ear from his cast albums (often what is provided for rental is not exactly what was heard onstage in the show's original or most popular incarnation). I've never heard of there being trouble with this. Now if you went on tour or cut a recording, that would probably be a much different matter. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:08 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

what i'd love to get my hands on - it's just a dream - is the arrangements used in Chicago in 2003, done by Phil Reno. it's like they took what French gives out, and combined it with the Revival version to get a unique (sometimes) sound!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:40 pm 
Slut
Slut

I know the original post was from quite some time ago, but I'm curious if anyone has had any luck finding the Broadway Revival arrangements? I worked on a show in 2004 where the vocal director transcribed all the Phantom vocals by ear based on the cast recording; however, I'm having a very hard time finding anyone from that production who still has it. I'm directing the show next summer and I'm desperate to use those versions (for the most part, with a couple of other tracks mixed in).