The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:53 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Hi Everyone, I found this tape and I am selling it. I cannot find record of it on ANY discography...perhaps someone can help me out. Or, even better, buy it :) It is blue and has the original soundtrack with superheros etc.. please help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

http://stores.ebay.com/Olives-Old-and-I ... y-Boutique

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Good luck selling it at anywhere remotely near that price. OST vinyl is dime a dozen for the most part, and cassettes just aren't collected very much since people generally prefer vinyl and/or CD.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

What I really want to know is the origin and source of the tape? Can any of you experts tell me? GRT went bankrupt in 1979 so this tape is clearly from 75..but from what? All the US tapes i have seen are white and from later years like 89.

As far as collectibles, to each his own.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:33 am 
Groupie
Groupie

Hello....I HAVE this tape. I think I payed like MAYBE $1 for it. It's NOT WORTH THAT MUCH MONEY

Here's why:

First of all it's a cassette tape. Secondly, it's not a first printing AND it's just a measly generic club house printing of the soundtrack on a generic record label. Ode is the orignal label and owners of the material and artwork GRT is just simply the label of this printing. IT WAS NOT RELEASED in 1975 either. The copyrighted material and original pressing of the material is 1975 of which is from Ode records. Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack wasn't released in the US until after the film became a midnight hit. 1978 was the official US release date. They were all imports until 1978 at which point Ode released the first US printing of the cassette and LP. This tape is 1978 or 1979. You mentioned GRT went bankrupt in 1979 but they probably didn't fold until a year or so later meaning this tape could also be at least from 1980 or 1981.

I hate to tell you but this tape isn't worth anything more than $5 and it's only worth $5 because of the novelty that it's blue and I know people who would pick this item up because they are collectors such as myself but again this cassette is not worth $500 not even with a copy of the vinyl.

You should just remove that listing on ebay or lower your price to $10 because that's all it's worth with that vinyl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:19 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Just because it is a cassette doesn't make it automatically not collectible. I know of numerous cassettes worth 100s of dollars. What are you basing your data or research on? I am curious? Where did you get your tape? You guys don't seem to know as much as you think you do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We're confident that we know how much things like this are worth because we're exactly the type of people who would be buying it, generally speaking. i.e. Insisting to your target market that something is actually worth a hundred times more than they say it is won't work. Good luck in your search for that one sucker, though. You never know... they could be out there somewhere. I assume that similar thinking is behind those listings I see on Amazon sometimes at a hundred times an item's normal price. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:34 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

olivebug wrote:
Just because it is a cassette doesn't make it automatically not collectible. I know of numerous cassettes worth 100s of dollars. What are you basing your data or research on? I am curious? Where did you get your tape? You guys don't seem to know as much as you think you do.

I didn't say it wasn't worth much solely because it's a cassette. I said it's worthless because not only is it opened but it's not on the original label and you mentioned that it has hiss or is warped during one of the songs (Time Warp I think you said)

As for what my resources are. I'm an AVID collector from 1990 onwards and have atteneded a dozen conventions and from my own reading on the subject matter and my own knowledge of the things that I do own not to mention seeing Lou Adler several times discussing the soundtrack and the film as well as simple research from the countless books that have been published regarding rocky horror memorablilia. Sal Piro himself wouldn't dare try to sell this measly cassette for $500 because he knows its not worth that much.

I KNOW what I'm talking about do you? If you had any indication of the rocky horror collectors out there and who they are and where they are coming from you wouldn't have even posted that listing for that cassette at that price. it's rediculous. Utterly rediculous.

I bought my copy of this cassette at a local record shop. they are easy to find. That was not the only time I had come across this blue tape either it's been seen at several places I frequent as far as records tapes etc. go.

Like I said, this is one of those club house reissues and IS NOT FROM 1975. Everyone knows the soundtrack came out here in the US later.

The only cassette tape of rocky horror picture show ever to be worth any money would be an unopened first pressing/printing soundtrack from Ode records circa 1978. I don't even think they pressed cassettes of it in the UK in the 70's ony on 8-track. And the 8-track is more of a novelty collectors item as well. If you can get it unopened which I have seen. They stopped even bringing cassettes to the conventions for the collectors there in the late 90's because people just don't collect cassetes. they don't work well, are faulty, and have hiss etc. Vinyl and CD's are where you will get your target collector.

You don't seem to know what YOU are talking about. Think about it.....$500 for a copy of a blue cassette of The Rocky Horror Picture Show??? and its opened and it's not even the first release? seriously do you even have a clue on collecting and what collectors are looking for?

I mentioned YES there are people out there who want this blue tape becuase like me they are collectors and want to collect every possible release they can....BUT not $500 becuase it isn't worth that. Maybe $20 if the shipping was included....that's how much someone will pay you for that on Ebay.

Maybe as another one on here mentioned you will find that one sucker who will be duped into paying that much but I highly doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Don't insult me. I saw RHPS when I was 11 years old, probably before you were born, and have probably seen it more times than you! I do know what I am talking about. You don't even know if the purported 1978 ODE tape exists or have even seen it? Right? And how many tapes like this were printed? That is why I feel it is collectible. I don't believe that it is simply a club issue. That is "rIdidculous" or, rediculous as you would say. DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW TO SPELL? I am an avid collector (of numerous things); and if you "collectors" knew anything you wouldn't collect CDs...vinyl is collectible and "real" sound. Not that garbage sound a CD makes. Funny how many times that item has received "hits" since I posted here....seems as though there might be alot of "suckers" on here. toodles sweety

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:25 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

sorry you feel insulted but you are insulting everyone's inteligence by asking that outrageous price.

I have seen the cassettes from the 70's. They are white up until the late 80's then they went silver/chrome.

Don't play this "I've seen it more times than you" bullshit.

I don't know how old you are so if seeing rocky at 11 makes you some sort of know it all that's too bad because i saw it at 9. Joined my first "shadow cast" at 15 and have stuck around since almost into my 30's. My obsession with Rocky Horror is what garnered me my vast knowledge and insight on the subject especially collecting. So YES I DO know what I'm talking about. When I talk about collectors I am only reffering to "rocky" collectors not in general. Your listing has so many hits because you posted it here and they all want to see what the huff is about.

The tape just isn't worth it and doesn't come close to a true collector's peice as far as rocky is concerned. but then as a collector yourself you should know and understand that anything is only worth how much zeal and passion the collector holds toward that certain object.

Like I said, you should do a little more research on your item and about the whole soundtrack thing. Because this tape is not a 1st printing, or release, regardless of whether its a club house issue or not. Reissues are not very collectable. The only collectable thing is that it's blue. That's it!
ALL the other tapes of Rocky Horror have the silence at the end of the tape too. Even the 1989 reissues on Rhino. AND you should know that Jem records was the first after Ode to release this soundtrack.

We just want you to see that your item is not and was not produced in 1975 and that it's not worth $500 that you claim.
That is a RIP OFF! ...and there have been MANY Rocky Horror collector rip offs in the rocky community. Maybe you are just another one.
Toodles back sweety....

BTW: Maybe I should just list my copy of this cheap issue of rocky on tape and maybe I'll ask for $600?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:35 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Just be sure if you list something, you use a dictionary. And it is Gemm. And inteligence has 2 "l"s. Dumbass.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:36 am 
Groupie
Groupie

That was a joke. I type fast to keep up with my thoughts....sorry I don't have time to spell check.

The fact that you change the subject only assures me that you know I'm right.

And it's Jem Records NOT Gemm. You fail. Again. Look it up.

Look kid, YOU posted this listing on here because YOU wanted information and insight into this cassette release and when then you get extremely deffensive to the person on here who is willing to to take the time to give you the information about the soundtrack releasings. WHY ARE YOU ARGUING OVER THIS? what are you trying to prove? That you have encountered some long lost Rocky Horror artifact that should be preserved by ripping off some poor schmuck on Ebay? Get real dude. I GAVE you the information and becuase it doesn't match up with the thrill of selling and asking for outrageous bids you get all upset. Whatever dude. Keep spending your seller fees on a bogus listing.

here's "Jem" records cassette 1979 release

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:44 am 
Techie
Techie

All of this arguing aside, my GUESS is this IS a first printing of the tape. The blue 8-Track was also distributed by GRT. GRT, as far as I can guess, was a company that handled distributing recordings in tape formats in the 70 FOR the record companies that owned the recordings. I only guess this because I've seen MANY different albums from different record companies released by GRT on 8-Track tape. I bought 8-Tracks on the GRT label (if that's what you'd call it) from regular retail stores in the 70's. I am not surpirsed to find they also handled cassette releases in the 70's as the cassette didn't reach it's height of popularity as a format until the mid 80's. Record companies probably struck a deal for GRT to distribute their recordings in cassette and 8-Track.

This is all assumption on my part.

I would assume the Jem cassettes began to be distributed AFTER this GRT release.

Also, like the others said, this is DEFINETELY NOT a 1975 release.
1. as stated before, the album didn't get an official release in the US until 1978 or 1979 (I thought it was 79 but I could be wrong). It cannot be an import because GRT was an american distribution company.
2. If it WAS a 1975 release, it would have been distributed by A&M Records, who distributed ALL Ode releases at that time. Check an original pressing of the Roxy Cast, it says distributed by A&M Records.
3. I would also assume if it was an original 1975 release, it would contain the spelling errors and incorrect titles that EVERY 1975 foreign release of the movie soundtrack I own or have seen contains in the track listing.

As far as I know, the only 1975 US release of the movie soundtrack was a promotional reel to reel tape distributed by A&M Records. I know this exists because I own one half of that release. (The tape I have only has side one of the album on it.I assume there is a second part.)

I would love to have one of these GRT cassettes in my collection (I already have the blue GRT 8-track along with several other 8-Track releases). However, it is SOOOOOOOOOOOO not worth what you're asking for it. I agree, top price would be $20 with shipping included, and that's reaching. The tape istelf does not look to be in great condition.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:45 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Thank You Sailorcartman,

after some digging in my own collection and internet surfing....I WAS wrong in assuming the GRT label was a club house label or similar. However we DO know it is a US release just like the 8-track which is also blue. I have discovered that this GRT release is 1979. I highly doubt that GRT would be able to release the soundtrack before Ode or it's parent label had their chance. The first pressings (vinyl) of the soundtrack POST 1975 have the Ode label on the front of the cover.
In one of my pressings of the vinyl soundtrack there was a leaflet 8x10 from the Rocky Horror fan club and one side has a Jem Records advertisement along with merchandise and the bottom of the leaflet is printed 1978. It's possible they were all released within a year of each other as the soundtrack did become highly popular and actually hit the billboard charts around that time too.
If you read the Rocky Horror Picture Show book (1979) Concept to Cult, creatures of the night (1990) and the Rocky Horror Audience Participation guide (1991 which has a whole collectors index) these books all touch on the soundtrack and it's releases

but like sailorcartman said....all that aside, Yes, the cassette is neat in that it is different and unusual and has a novelty appeal and is deffinatley wanted by the rocky community for their collections however it is generally not valued for the your asking price as now several of us here have concluded.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Sailorman, A&M and ODE were managed by the same guy, Bob Elliott, so, it could be that it was from ODE and GRT in 1975. How do you KNOW for sure it isn't 1975? I want to know where this info is from? Also, ODE is right there on the label along with GRT, just like the 8 track. If you do a search of the Billboard magazine archives you can find some interesting history behind ODE and Rocky releases planned by Lou Adler in 1974. I think it is a first release, but I am optimistic. And, I think it is cool. The fact that NO one can find me information on what it really is, is puzzling to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:10 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

olivebug,

we know it isn't printed in 1975 for several reasons already mentioned.

First and foremost....the only 1975 printing of the soundtrack was in England. Then we take into account that the soundtrack in the USA wasn't released until 1978. That's also when it entered the Billboard 200. This GRT tape clearly says PRINTED IN USA. Therefore it is post 1975. The only reason 1975 is on the tape is becuase the packaged content (i.e. the cover art, and copyrighted subject)& the soundtrack are from 1975. This tape is 1979.

We can't find any proof this GRT tape ever existed or was printed 1975. Therfore we go with the facts that we do know. The soundtrack was first released here in the states in 1978/79 with many different labels including Jem records.
I think we can safely say this very well is the first printing GRT ever did for the soundtrack but IT IS NOT, and I repeat.... NOT THE FIRST CASSETTE PRINTING OF THIS SOUNDTRACK.

A&M records deffinatley has it's ties with Ode. ALL of the performers from Rocky who had solo releases were ALL released on A&M rercords (except Meat Loaf). But A&M records as far as what I have researched had nothing to do with the GRT release. Even if it had it still wouldn't make it printed in 1975.

This cassette would be worth a lot more if it WAS the first printing of the soundtrack on cassette,if it was SEALED/UNOPENED, and if it contained any misprints. It does not have any of those features. therefore the collectability value just isn't that high save for the fact that it's blue and it's a unique release I'll give it that. But come one olivebug really? $499 it just isn't very realistic.

We can argue all day over what this release actually means to the rocky community but it won't change anything to the point where someone would be willing to pay that price when several of us collectors have found this very same cassette and it's 8-Track counterpart for very very cheap. This just doesn't add up I'm sorry.
This isn't that extremely rare. Friends of mine and others HAVE this cassette and non of us paid not even 2% of the price you are asking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:18 pm 
Techie
Techie

Olivebug-

I believe Autoamerican answered the question. There simply was NO 1975 US release of the soundtrack. If you also do the research you suggest in Bliiboard and other similar magazines. You'l find ads from the late 78/79 period announcing that the release of the RHPS sound track with tags such as "finally Not an import". I own these ads so I can speak from first hand expreience. Also my info comes from talking to people who were in the Rocky scene at that time . In particular, Adam Sargis who released a double LP bootleg of the entire film BECAUSE the soundtrack was not available at that time.

Autoamerican-

A couple things-
I do not believe the UK was the only place the soundtrack was released in 1975.
I own vinyl pressings from Canada, new Zealand, and South Africa that I believe were also released in 1975. I beleive this because alll of these pressings bear the same distinct features the 1975 UK release has from later pressings of the soundtrack.
1. the label on the record itself is the ODE sliver and white label. As far as I can tell only first pressings of the album bear this label. MOST other later pressings bear the black label with the lips (this would exclude, form memory, the late 80's german release with the white and green label, the early 80s Australian release with the blue "Festival Records" label.
2. All of these pressings bear the mistakes/mispellings in the track list on the cover and the label.
3. IN my collecting I've noticed that only the first pressings bear the ode logo in the upper right hand corner of the front cover. Every other pressing I've seen does not have the ODE logo on the front cover.

While I do not know if there was some earlier foreign cassette releases, I DO believe this GRT cassette to be the first US release from 1978/1979. I am guessing JEM distribution took over the cassette production/distribution after GRT went out of buisness. (and then RHINO took over distribution after JEM)

You are correct that A&M didnt have anything to do with the GRT release. A & M had ceased distribution of ODE releases in 1976. CBS had taken over at that point (which would explain why early Canadian ROcky Horror releases were on EPIC records or at least bore the Epic/CBS Records logo somewhere on the jacket. This doesnt explain why CBS did not distribute the RHPS album release in the US)

GOD IT FEELS GOOD TO TALK GEEK!!!!!!!!!! Is this too much geek even for ROcky Horror people? I feel my brain should have used the part that contains all of this information for something more important.

Last edited by sailorcartman on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:42 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

sailorcartman....I totally forgot about the ads with "finally not an import" taglines. Howver on those ads I dont recall GRT being mentioned in any of them. Looking through some of my Transylvanian magazines with ads for the soundtrack don't mention GRT either but I have seen one mention Jem records.

In fact I've never seen or heard a GRT ad for this soundtrack but I have seen quite a few copies of th eGRT 8-Track and cassette around probably about as much as I've seen copies of Jem's printings as well. The albums wiht the Ode labels on the front and on the middle label of the records are hard to find now even the original releases of the Roxy cast album baring the Ode label on the discs and on the cover jackets are scarce.

Most of my usa printings of the soundtrack came with insert leaflets of the fan club and/or radio promo info regarding the history and fandom of the film/soundtrack and bare the black label with lips logo.

(BTW I've dying to find a copy of the bootleg album wiht the whole film on it.....very very rare indeed)

I love talking geek and it's usually hard to find others on here who do as well. it's just most others don't care enough to actually post their opinions lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:14 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

all of that information was very informative and useful. thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:22 am 
Techie
Techie

Autoamerican-

I do not believe GRT would have been mentioned in any of the press because I beleive GRT was only contracted by ODE/GEM to manufacture/distribute the tape versions in it's initial release. Ode/Jem were still the oweners of the material and distributed the vinyl. I would be interested to see if GRT was mentioned in press ads of other recordings they were contracted to distribute on tape.

This is all assumption on my part, but it makes the most sense to me.

However, I am wondering if GRT may have been a subsidiary of CBS and if the blue 8-Track/cassette was in fact a Canadian release instead of a US release.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:02 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

well, could be....a lot of the cassettes fail to feature any other label/release info. It says manufactured/printed in U.S.A. but you are right in thinking it could have been distributed in Canada. I have some US releases that say printinted in Canada so...who really knows.

I have some ads from another 70's band who's frist album was on a low budget label initially but also had within the same year of its release GRT cassettes and 8-track printings as well as printings on it's own label so you may very well be right.

Honestly as far as the 8-tracks go the red 8-track is the one from Ode, there is also a black one, the blue one is GRT's and a couple club house issue ones.
But good theory about Ode contracting GRT for the tape versions. However I still do not see this an an import for another country including Canada nor that it was prior to 1978/9

here's a scan of the 8-track with catalog number visible

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:00 pm 
Techie
Techie

Actually, I have always been under the impression that the red and the black 8-tracks are canadian releases. I bought both of them from Candaian sources, they do not bear any info about Jem records, and both red and black have the exact same label with the exact same fonts.. Also, the red 8-Track case is identical to the original canadian 8-track release of "Bat Out FO Hell", which is an Epic/CBS release. CBS initially distributed the soudntrack in Canada. Lastly, both the red and black cases state "Manufactured in Canada" on the back. I know the cases coudl have been manufactured in Canada and then used by a US company, but, I think all of the reasons above poit to the red and black being Canadiana releases.
I always assumed the brown 8-track, which does bear the Jem Records info, was the 2nd US 8-Track release after the GRT release.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:09 am 
Techie
Techie

IS this reply some internet trickery? It seems to be something I posted in a different thread on this site.

If it is not internet trickery, the, how am I ripping off Rocky Horror fans? Do explain