PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:41 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.amazon.com/Glee-Music-Rocky-Horror-Show/dp/B0042NJ0NO/

Quote:
Glee: The Music, The Rocky Horror Glee Show [Soundtrack]
Glee Cast (Artist) | Format: Audio CD
List Price: $6.98
This title will be released on October 19, 2010.
Pre-order now!

Track Listings
1. Science Fiction Double Feature
2. Damn It, Janet
3. Whatever Happened To Saturday Night?
4. Sweet Transvestite
5. Touch A Touch A Touch A Touch Me
6. There s A Light (Over at Frankenstein Place)
7. Time Warp

The Glee cast is back with the first CD from the second season of FOX's hit show. Paying homage to Richard O'Brien s cult musical masterpiece, the Glee cast injects their distinctive style to such Rocky Horror Show classics as Time Warp, Damn it, Janet and Touch A Touch A Touch A Touch Me. With all the excitement around Glee's return, it's evident why the New York Times proclaimed Glee is now a bonafide phenomenon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:13 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

http://www.zshare.net/audio/81575871b77502e0/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/81575978eac13124/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/81576153da4957fe/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/81576315676b508e/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/815764561a4c18b2/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/81576587f3322db3/
http://www.zshare.net/audio/81576667684e1edc/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I just listend to Sweet Transvestite. From "Sensational" Transylvania. What an utter disgrace to Rocky Horror.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:55 am 

So, I've listened to all of these. Even though I am a fan of Glee, I didn't have high expectations. It's very easy to butcher Rocky Horror (a prime example, in my opinion, sadly, came from my own country, the 1992 Australian Cast. It should be outlawed), but I think they just made it over the line of not butchering.

I thought Science Fiction was good. However, Maria Franzen, in my opinion, is way better (punch into Youtube, Science Fiction Maria Franzen, thank me later), as is Richard O'Brien. But still, good.

Damnit Janet, passable in my opinion. Again, heard much worse, but this was alright.

The thing that gets me with There's a Light is that they always leave out Brad's verse if they're basing it on the movie. Yet there's no need to. They're not going to get hit by passing motorcyclists if they stop to sing Brad's verse. Otherwise, this was actually probably one of the better songs.

Sweet Transvestite confused me. I can understand there's might be a timeslot issue, but if you can get away with the word "Transvestite", can't you also get away with the word "Transsexual" as well? Also, it's a guys song. Not a girls song (no offense).

Time Warp was okay. Not the best, but okay. There's a lot better out there but there's worse still.

Hot Patootie\Whatever Happened To Saturday Night appeared to be at first the victim of butchered orchestration. It got better. This song also okay.

Toucha Toucha Touch Me was like Sweet Transvestite. Again, you've used the word Transvestite, why not not modify this one as well? I will give Jayma Mays credit though, she was pretty good.

My thoughts? I'm not overwhelmed by this. Nor am I underwhelemed. I'm just whelmed. It was okay, but still, could've been a lot better, especiailly if they just didn't edit the songs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:49 am 

I am a huge fan of Glee! as well as RHPS, so I was hoping Glee would do Rocky Horror justice, and they did on some of the songs, though I was extremely disappointed with Sweet Transvestite. Amber Riley has an amazing voice, but that song is much better sung by a man, not to mention why bother if you are gonna change the words? Same with Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me, I think Jayma Mays did a good job singing it, but changing the words made the song lose the point of itself. Either way I am highly excited for the episode. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:13 pm 

I totally agree jamiedlover (I love Jamie Donnelly too! Roxxy cast yay!)

It's a complete travesty. I like Glee, but if they can't handle using the right words, don't do "The Rocky Horror Glee Show". I mean "I thought there's no use getting into heavy sweating"? Kill me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:52 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I hate Glee. And I hate what they've done to Rocky Horror.

So, you can have homosexuality and all sorts of other "taboo" issues in a show, but transsexualism crosses the line? What the hell? A girl CANNOT sing "Sweet Transvestite", because it's acceptable for a girl to dress up like that, and Rocky is all about breaking taboos.

You can add as many flourishes and vocal acrobatics to the songs, but Rocky isn't for overly-trained pop divas. Rocky is rough, raw, and the vocals and orchestrations should fit. That's what was missing from the New Broadway production and subsequent productions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:13 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Foobly01 wrote:

So, you can have homosexuality and all sorts of other "taboo" issues in a show, but transsexualism crosses the line? What the hell? A girl CANNOT sing "Sweet Transvestite", because it's acceptable for a girl to dress up like that, and Rocky is all about breaking taboos.

You can add as many flourishes and vocal acrobatics to the songs, but Rocky isn't for overly-trained pop divas. Rocky is rough, raw, and the vocals and orchestrations should fit. That's what was missing from the New Broadway production and subsequent productions.

I agree with this post so incredibly much. And from what I've heard they're talking of a doing a remake with the director from Glee? Ugh, no thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 am 
Slut
Slut

"I agree with this post so incredibly much. And from what I've heard they're talking of a doing a remake with the director from Glee? Ugh, no thank you."

Oh please no!! Personally I didn't hate the glee episode (But I didn't particularly like it either) -It was definately a bad decision making a girl sing Sweet Transvestite and then changing the lyrics - I think it would ultimately kill it if the director of glee made a remake...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:57 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Foobly01 wrote:

This. All of this.

What sucks now is that everyone at my school seems to think that no one would know about Rocky if it weren't for Glee. I knew about RHPS since I was in the 5th grade! I didn't see it until three years later, but that's beside the point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:44 pm 
Slut
Slut

Its cool that Glee has opened RHPS to a whole new generation (much earlier than people generally find themselves indulging in RH...) but its disappointing when people say its the reason its suddenly "back". It never left!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv ... slams-Glee
Quote:
Rocky Horror show creator Richard O'Brien is disappointed that TV show Glee chose to "dilute down" the themes of the musical.

The episode, which pays tribute to the cult musical, airs on TV3 in New Zealand tonight.

O'Brien, who is currently starring as The Narrator in The Rocky Horror Show in Wellington, said he didn't realise that the hit TV show was going to "dilute" his creation.

"It's very odd. They couldn't use the word 'transsexual' for some reason or other and I couldn't work out the thinking there.

"I don't understand how that word could be misinterpreted. It's just a term, like saying a girl or a boy."

"Janet Jackson's nipple shows in a video and the country falls apart. Uproar! Shock! Horror! There's this strange morality," O'Brien said.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Unfortunately Glee is a sausage factory. Every arrangement is boiled down to a Karaoke standard. The arrangements are bland, there is no character in the singing and passion is reduced to a formula.
I should have realised that this would happen. It did and I was disappointed overall.
Now I hope against all hope that they don't try the same treatment with Shock Treatment. That would be too much to contemplate.
Cheers all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

oohhhhhh Glee ruined Rocky Horror!!!!!! I listened to the songs and watched the episode! UGH! they just slaughtered it completely!

1.) 2 Magenta's and 2 Columbia's?!?! what!?!?!
2.) a woman playing the part of Chuckie Gray!
3.) A woman playing the part of Frank!!!
4.) singing Magenta's part in the time warp in a higher pitch than in the movie!

honestly i could go on..they completely ruined it and i can't stand to watch it anymore cuz they changed so much. i just wonder how Richard feels about it...the only thing i give them credit for is introducing it to a new generation and sort of bringing it back into style.

--Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:07 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

Yeah, in Glee, that Magenta sounded like she was frolicking in a field of butterflies!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:57 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Magenta McKinley wrote:
oohhhhhh Glee ruined Rocky Horror!!!!!! I listened to the songs and watched the episode! UGH! they just slaughtered it completely!

1.) 2 Magenta's and 2 Columbia's?!?! what!?!?!
2.) a woman playing the part of Chuckie Gray!
3.) A woman playing the part of Frank!!!
4.) singing Magenta's part in the time warp in a higher pitch than in the movie!

honestly i could go on..they completely ruined it and i can't stand to watch it anymore cuz they changed so much. i just wonder how Richard feels about it...the only thing i give them credit for is introducing it to a new generation and sort of bringing it back into style.

--Magenta

Personally i loved RHGS... Until i saw the original movie version. I love Glee, but their rendition of Rocky was like, %20 good (toucha toucha touch me and SFDF were the only good songs). I had only a glimpse of what Rocky was about before Glee only knew the words to Sweet T and Toucha Toucha, and Glee didnt help me with understanding the plot either.

Sure they couldnt say "transexual" and John Stamos was a terrible Eddie, but Mercedes stepping in to play a black AND female Frank made me want to test the norm and do what she did.

Rocky Horror Glee Show was terrible, but inspiring (alittlebit).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:25 pm 

Personally the only song I found to be good was Naya Rivera's cover of Science Fiction, Double Feature everything else was done very poorly and didn't even come close to the movie and play. How they changed Frank-N-Furters character was also a low point for me and many other viewers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:02 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Come on guys, it was an alright interpretation of the best movie in the world. The only way something can be as good as RHPS is if we go back in time, get the cast and shoot the video again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 am 
Slut
Slut

I am a Glee fan and I can say that the RHPS episode was kinda horrible. Aside from the way they treated the story (that is a whole different issue altogether) the music was basically karaoke. What made Glee cool in the first place is that they did show choir arrangements of songs. When the did the RHPS episode they concocted this whole we're gonna do the play RHS in a high school concept and then proceeded to do nothing with the music that was interesting at all. I think of it in the same category as the Christopher Emery recordings. That is why the only track I really enjoy from the recording is Sweet T (despite the lyric changes)because it at least tries to be something different. As for the storyline...ridiculous. I am in charge of the theatre productions at the school I teach at. We could never even begin to think about doing RHS. The first thing we do when picking any show as a potential choice is make sure it won't get us fired. If they were going to use the idea of RHS at all...they should have went ahead and cast it correctly and then the premise of the story would be that it got shut down by the administration. We could have at least had something a little less butchered that way...and yeah I know they started saying Mike Chang was going to be Frank N. Furter or whatever, but they didn't have him sing it or in costume. I'm sure some people are thinking "but Glee is a kid's show, they can't do that." Well if you watch an episode of Glee, especially the first season, you will see that it is NOT a kids show. The humor is very risque. Ok done with my rant...and pardon any inaccuracies, I watched the episode when it aired and not once since.