The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I just posted these sound files (both as MP3s and lossless FLACs), courtesy of Justin "Muzzle" Carpenter:

http://www.rockymusic.org/mp3scat/rhs-belascolive/

This is a live recording made on March 14th, 1975 of the (very short-lived) Rocky Horror Show's original run at the Belasco Theatre on Broadway. It was taken from a 1/4" reel-to-reel tape kept by one of the sound engineers at the Belasco (whom Justin had ruthlessly tracked down and bribed!). The show opened on March 10th, 1975 (and then quickly closed less than a month later), so this was one of the first few performances.

I haven't listened to the Roxy cast album enough recently to verify some of the lesser known cast members, but the recorded show was only a few days after the opening so there probably weren't any understudies performing at this point. Likely cast list:

• Belasco Popcorn Girl: Jamie Donnelly
  • Brad Majors: Bill Miller
  • Janet Weiss: Abigale Haness
  • Narrator: Graham Jarvis
  • Riff Raff: Richard O'Brien
  • Dr. Frank-N-Furter: Tim Curry
  • Magenta: Jamie Donnelly
  • Columbia: Boni Enten
  • Rocky Horror: Kim Milford
  • Eddie: Meat Loaf
  • Dr. Scott: Meat Loaf

The quality is excellent, and the recording is of the complete show (including all dialogue). It was transferred from 1/4" reel-to-reel to a chrome cassette which was played only twice, first to test and second to record it digitally. It's very listenable, though some of the dialogue does get very low in volume and is occasionally overpowered by audience reactions. It's fantastic being able to hear Richard O'Brien, Tim Curry, and Meat Loaf all on stage together though. Enjoy! And Happy Halloween!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:31 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Very happy to share the goods. If Mr. Boychik happens to read this, I'd be very interested to know whether his recording is the same as this one (same night? same recording?). I meant him no disrespect for my ignorance of his discovery of a Belasco tape, and am of course most curious to know if his tape and mine are from the same night, and if so, if they're from the same master recording. (How amazing would it be to find two different Belasco recordings?)

A small note, though -- I believe William Newman, not Graham Jarvis, was the narrator for this show at this time. I understand Graham joined the New York cast pretty much just in time for the show to close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm just about to go to bed (no really... I mean it! :lol:) but it did look like there was some question about that. At least one reference I found said that William Newman was Narrator only in previews and that Graham Jarvis performed on opening night. So that's what I went with for the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:44 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Gotcha. I also note that the delivery sounds very characteristically Graham. ("Time Warp," "The Sword of Damocles," and the bedroom scenes intro really sound Graham-ish.) I bet it is him, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Isn't the internet wonderful? If only we had such a thing 15-16 years ago I may not have blown too much hard earned money on a bootleg such as this one, which everyone can now have for free. (If this starts showing up on eBay I'm gonna plotz.)

Justin wrote:
"If Mr. Boychik happens to read this, I'd be very interested to know whether his recording is the same as this one (same night? same recording?)."

My copy is indeed the same show. I purchased it on reel-to-reel ages ago from an older guy who I met at a film convention who had tons of bootlegs of shows. It cost me an arm and a leg to buy it, and another arm and leg to get it transferred onto cassette. (This was around '93.....I couldn't find anywhere to put it on CD for under a grand.)

The cassette I (still) have that was transferred from the reel has a lot more tape hiss than this copy, I don't know if that was from a poor audio conversion or what.

If you'd be interested in hearing the tape I have I can send it to you or Shawn, but that's the version that most collectors who already have this show have.

As an aside.....I know you don't remember, but I met you ages ago Justin when you came to see my cast perform in the early '90's with Matt Collins. How have you been the past 15-something years?

(As another aside.....I must have the most misspelled last name in Rocky Horror.)

Thanks for sharing your tape with the community Justin. I just honestly seriously hope the eBay cockholes don't start selling it and making tons of money.

--Kev J. Boycik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:28 am 
Administrator
Administrator

KimiAndRitz wrote:
I must have the most misspelled last name in Rocky Horror.

I'm pretty sure that title belongs to Richard O'Brian himself. Though Arthur Levesque must be in the running also, among the fans. :lol:

At any rate, my philosophy on eBay is the same as always. I'd rather there be a freely available source for something "rare" than horde it in the hopes of not letting someone else make a profit on it. There'll always be people like Adam Clarke no matter what you do. With a freely available source, you can at least hope that enough people will eventually know about it that profiting becomes more and more unlikely. I actually bought a couple of the Tim Curry bootlegs that I see selling on eBay over and over in the hopes that some of the Timbos will just download it here rather than providing yet another sale for the bootleggers (like I did).

Post subject: Rocky Horror Belasco
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:31 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Oh the drama that surrounds the bootleg recording of the Rocky Horror Show at the Belasco in 1975. Im amused at the stories I read about how people manage to get a copy. I guess I lucked out acquiring my copy. I didnt have to bribe anyone or pay a ton of cash for a copy. Back in the 70's , in the back of CUE Magazine. (the magazine is long gone.) a man was selling copies of Broadway shows on cassette for $10. The Rocky Horror Show was one of them. The entire show with songs and dialog. An old friend of mine bought a copy from him and my copy is a copy from her copy. I actually posted 2 videos on Youtube like 6 months ago using 2 songs from my lousy cassette that is 32 years old. (I'm Going Home and Time Warp) If you ask me, I think my 32 year old cassette sounds better than the digitized versions that are floating about. You can compare the quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:00 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Shawn wrote:
"With a freely available source, you can at least hope that enough people will eventually know about it that profiting becomes more and more unlikely."

Which I must say thank you for.

Back when Rick Sloane was selling TC and Nell bootlegs by the dozens I would every now and then contact the people bidding on them to let them know where to find the same recordings for free. eBay doesn't let you do that anymore. :-(

-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

So we did! I'm sorry for it slipping my mind...it's been so many years. I *do* remember now, dimly. A pleasure to run into you again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:01 am 
Virgin
Virgin

KimiAndRitz wrote:
Shawn wrote:
"With a freely available source, you can at least hope that enough people will eventually know about it that profiting becomes more and more unlikely."

Which I must say thank you for.

Back when Rick Sloane was selling TC and Nell bootlegs by the dozens I would every now and then contact the people bidding on them to let them know where to find the same recordings for free. eBay doesn't let you do that anymore. :-(

-k

You could always have an auction to sell the information on where to get the recordings for free for $.01 BUY IT NOW, digital download.

Come to think of it, that's an interesting idea for the TC and Nell bootlegs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:38 am 
Virgin
Virgin

That's actually a fantastic deal. Anyone want to volunteer to do that? I should go see who's got stuff up right now.

Of course, I wouldn't even charge the penny.

Now if only there was some way to stop those phony fake autograph peddlers and people who sell photocopied/printed out scripts (Anyone see how much that ROTOQ script is going for? Sick!)

--k

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:16 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I am absolutely blown away with this recording! I've heard rumors about it existing for 25 years, but could Never get my hands on a copy. Thank You So Much for making this amazing recording available.
I Am B-L-O-W-N A-W-A-Y!

Just curious if anyone else thinks that the recording sounds like it runs just a little fast? (Update: 56% fast, compared to the Roxy CD Song Keys) I downloaded the flac files, and I was going to attempt to clean up those quiet but annoying clicking noises that pop up from time to time. I hope Soundforge will remove them easily....

Amazing stuff here! Anyone who hasn't actually grabbed a copy yet, should do so ASAP! :)

Update # 1

Side note here: I DL'ed both the MP3 and FLAC versions, and found that some of the flac files have some type of diginoise that is NOT on the MP3 version. I don't know why? I guess I'll keep both versions for now. (Notice the static on the beginning of toucha-touch-me on the flac flie( In stereo, althrough the recording seems mono), that is Not on the mp3 one. Oh well. Must have been a bad WAV>FLAC Rip on a few of the tracks.

2nd Update: For the last 2 hours I've been working on this. I listened to the flac and mp3 files, edited the best sounding ones together (trying to use the flac where possible, removed some little 1 second breaks between some of the tracks, I speed corrected it, and put it thru a Soundforge vinyl restoration process (which removed most of the little pops and clicks while also removing a little bit of the low end hum from the microphone. To my ears it sounds -much- better. I wish I had a pure loseless source without any diginoise to work with, but for now, I'm extremely happy with the results. I figured since I waited 25 years to finally obtain a copy, I might as well attempt to make it as good as possible. I wouldn't attempt to do any type of noise reduction or EQ, as I think it would take away from the recording...... Total running time started at 1:26.23 minutes, and now runs 1:29.26 minutes long. The songs all match the keys on the roxy CD, so I feel I was correct in slowing down the entire recording.

Again, I must point out what a fantastic thing it is to really listen, and relisten to this show, and to be able to improve it a bit more for my future enjoyment. :) Thank You SO Much Justin for making this available! Really! :) This is the closist thing I have to a TARDIS to go back in time and see a performance with this cast, so it'll make do! - I feel my life is now complete. :D

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:09 am 
Techie
Techie

Lestatkatt?! Haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Wait, you're on my AIM buddy list... huh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:07 am 
Virgin
Virgin

TheLazenby wrote:
Lestatkatt?! Haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Wait, you're on my AIM buddy list... huh.

Hmmmm. I've been around the net for a few years. I don't remember if we traded before, but I upsed to post a lot of torrents on sharing the groove (Back in 2003-2005). Probably about 300+ torrents. My, How time flies...

A friend hooked me up with Two different DVDs of footage from the 'recent' 2001 Broadway Production. Neither is perfect, and the one with Joan Jet starts to become defective (skipping problems) around the floor show part. Does Anyone have a good copy of this DVD? I'm always up for trades. Maybe I'll check out the audio on those discs tonight, and see if they are up to quality to be posted here. I'd be happy to send copies of them in, if it can be posted in eihter audio or video. I"ll get more info on them tonight after work....... (another 8+ hours) - Michael In Philly

RH Stuff I Have On DVD:

THE ROCKY HORROR TREATMENT (1981) 23 min.(COMPLETE AND UNEDITED) + TOM SNYDER SEGMENT ON ROCKY HORROR W/ Dori 8 min + THE CONTRAPTION (1977) 7 min w/ Richard O'Brian (DVD+R) 1 DISC

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW: VH1 BEHIND THE MUSIC (VHS>DVD+R) 45 minutes 1 DISC

THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW: BROADWAY, CIRCLE IN THE SQUARE THEATER, NEW YORK 4/20/01 (MINI DV>DVD+R) 1 DISC

THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW: BROADWAY, CIRCLE IN THE SQUARE THEATER, NEW YORK 9/09/01 (VHS>DVD+R) 1 DISC

SHOCK TREATMENT: Japanese Laserdisc Transfer (Laserdisc>DVD) + Trailers + more...... 1 DISC

I didn't create any of these discs, just traded for them. As I mentioned, I'm always up for a trade for any other RH releated Audio & Video...... Lestatkatt @ AOL Dot Com

Post subject: Re: Wow
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

lestatkatt1 wrote:
I DL'ed both the MP3 and FLAC versions, and found that some of the flac files have some type of diginoise that is NOT on the MP3 version. I don't know why? I guess I'll keep both versions for now. (Notice the static on the beginning of toucha-touch-me on the flac flie( In stereo, althrough the recording seems mono), that is Not on the mp3 one. Oh well. Must have been a bad WAV>FLAC Rip on a few of the tracks.

Grrr, I hope not. I just listened to the beginning of both the FLAC and MP3 of Touch-A that I had here locally, and did not notice the static you mention. I wonder if it could depend on the FLAC decoder also? I'm using a FLAC plugin for Winamp (actually I think the more recent Winamp versions include stock FLAC support now). But I've also been accused of being half deaf to this sort of thing, so I'm open to that explanation as well. :lol:

I was heavily burned by MP3 encoder errors on the old RockyMusic site. Back when MP3s were still relatively new, I was using the BladeEnc encoder. I turned on the CRC option when I was encoding everything, since that sounded like a good error check to me. Come to find out, BladeEnc had implemented a completely broken CRC calculation. Most MP3 players would ignore this, but some would play silence instead. So every so often, I'd get complaints that all the MP3s were broken as a result. I'd hoped that FLAC wouldn't be susceptible to any serious errors like this at least, since it's supposed to be well... lossless... damnit!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:11 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Grab this Rocky Horror Recording from 3/14/75 ! Tim, Richard & Meatloaf...
Date: 4/17/2008 12:15:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Read this story after my post. This explains the entire story of this recording. It's very interesting to read, and there's even a moral to it. -

This is a live recording made on March 14th, 1975 of the
(very short-lived) Rocky Horror Show's original run at
the Belasco Theatre on Broadway. It was taken from a 1/4"
reel-to-reel tape kept by one of the sound engineers at
the Belasco. This source is the same source that was used
on The Website "The Musical World Of Rocky Horror" however......
This is a new rip from the Original Wav files, Completely
retracked and Speed Corrected. I also had to do a lot of
Declicking, due to some imperfections in the Original Recording.
(wine glasses clinking, and some weird clickng noises. They are now gone.) I was extremely careful not to do any editing or to alter the
recording, other than to fix the speed to match the Roxy LP.

I personally have been searching for a copy of this recording
for about 25 years before it turned up last Halloween. After
some trading, I was able to get a copy of the WAV files, and I
went to work to clean them up a bit. This is a mono recording,
but it's the Complete Play, and it's extremely rare because
it has Tim Curry, Meatloaf AND Richard O'Brian in the cast
(who was filling in). This was the 3rd Performance of a three
month run at the Belasco Theatre, and this took place After
the movie was filmed, but Before it was released in the movie theaters.
That in itself makes this a very rare recording. I know of a
few people who claim to have a copy of this for years, but never
would trade it.

This version also has no Digi-Noise that is on the versions posted on The Musical World Of Rocky Horror. Both the mp3 and flac versions posted there have Digi-noise in different places in the recording. I got a hold of the Original files Via Shawn, and they were not present in the recording, leading me to believe that it was ripped poorly. I offered to send Shawn a better copy, but the trade never went thru. Shawn, Please download a copy from Dime, or I will send you one, and you can replace the files on your site!

I wanted to help share this amazing show with the world
before I have to move to a new apartment. Please share this with
anyone who is a Rocky Horror Fan! They will thank you for it!
I have listened to this show about 10 times in the last 2 weeks, to
make sure I am posting the best possible copy.

Info found on Musical World of Rocky Horror:
(sorry I borrowed this info)[/b]

This is a recording from March 14th, 1975 of the (very short-lived)
original run of The Rocky Horror Show at the Belasco Theatre on Broadway. It was taken from a 1/4" reel-to-reel tape kept by one of the sound engineers at the Belasco. The show opened on March 10th, 1975 so this was one of the first few performances. It features Tim Curry as Dr. Frank-N-Furter, Richard O'Brien as Riff Raff, and Meat Loaf as Eddie/Dr. Scott along with the rest of the cast from the Roxy Theatre. All sound files contributed by Justin "Muzzle" Carpenter.

The quality is excellent, and the recording is of the complete show
(including all dialogue). It was transferred from 1/4" reel-to-reel
to a chrome cassette which was played only twice, first to test and
second to record it digitally. It's very listenable, though some of
the dialogue does get very low in volume and is occasionally overpowered
by audience reactions. It's fantastic being able to hear Richard O'Brien,
Tim Curry, and Meat Loaf all on stage together though.

-------------------------------
Thank You Justin for finally making this available to the world. I hope you don't mind that I improved the recording by speed correcting and declicking it. I used SoundForge to do all the editing, etc. I would not consider this a remaster, just an adjustment, and a new rip from the Original Files, Not the Flac files found on Music World Of.....

This is[b] Not
a knock against The Musical World of..., I just wanted to try to get a cleaner transfer posted for the trading community. I also noticed some small 1 second breaks between some of the tracks in the original files, (I'm talking about the flac files, and not just the mp3s), so I very carefully removed them in soundforge, and it's perfect now, and totally retracked. No EQ has been added.

Thank You Shawn for helping me aquire the Original files to work with. I hope that you don't mind that I am sharing it on another site. I take No Cerdit for this, but many people who download torrents aren't aware of your website, and I know that over 10,000 + people belong to DIME, so I figured it would be a great place to circulate it to the masses! I honestly Love this website, and have even submited some videos here (Tom Snyder footage + The Rocky Horror Treatment + Others) I have another disc of stuff I want to have posted here as well, so shawn, Please contact me with your mailing address so I can ship you a copy of these DVDs! I know that you will want to see this stuff. They really need to be seen.

~Michael Lestatkatt~
(Yes, I have seen this movie over 1,000 times in the last 25 years) This recording still Blows My Mind. I will treasure this forever. A Huge thanks goes to Shawn and to Muzzle!

Disc One:

Track 1 Welcome To The Show Tonight
Track 2 Science Fiction/Double feature
Track 3 Damnit Janet
Track 4 Narrator
Track 5 Over At The Frankenstein Place
Track 6 Sweet Transvestite
Track 7 The Warp
Track 8 Dialogue - Creation Scene
Track 9 Sword Of Damocles
Track 10 Charles Atlas Song
Track 11 Hot Patootie (Bless My Soul)
Track 12 Charles Atlas Song (Reprise)
Track 13 Bedroom Scenes
Track 14 Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me
Track 15 Once In A While
Track 16 Eddie's Teddy
Track 17 Planet Schmanet Janet
Track 18 You're A Hot Dog
Track 19 Rose Tint My World
Track 20 Don't Dream It, Be It
Track 21 Wild And An Untaimed Thing

Disc Two:
Track 1 I'm Going Home
Track 2 The Death Of Frank & Rocky
Track 3 Super Heroes
Track 4 Science Fiction/Double Feature (Reprise)
Track 5 Sweet Transvestite (Company Bows)
Track 6 Time Warp (Reprise) (Company Bows)

Cast:

Belasco Popcorn Girl: Jamie Donnelly

Brad Majors: Bill Miller

Janet Weiss: Abigale Haness

Narrator: Graham Jarvis

Riff Raff: Richard O'Brien

Dr. Frank-N-Furter:
Tim Curry

Magenta: Jamie Donnelly

Columbia: Boni Enten

Rocky Horror: Kim Milford

Eddie: Meat Loaf

Dr. Scott: Meat Loaf

* a last note I forgot to mention is there sounds like a small break right before the beginning of I Can Make You A Man. I'm wondering if that was on the Original Transfer of this. Maybe that is where the Cassette tape flipped over? Seems too early in the recording to be the spot to flip a cassette? Maybe they were 30 minute side tapes? Questions I would love to know the answers to....... It's the same on the files of Musical World of, as that one and this one came from the same master files........... No big deal. It doesn't sound like much, if anything is missing. I noticed it due to multiple listenings on headphones while declicking the recording.

04a7abbf79f269186997de3d72bee0e8 Disc 1 Track 7 Time Warp.flac
0a3914a064e927dd4c86e226c49a7643 Disc 1 Track 8 Dialogue - Creation Scene.flac
c966716317b187ab327975cc9b61c9eb Disc 1 Track 9 Sword Of Damocles.flac
fb9b53eaa78c4b122081765bce3ffb50 Disc 1 Track 10 Charles Atlas Song.flac
abdaa8fee99c970b3e82795e382fa877 Disc 1 Track 11 Hot Patootie (Bless My Soul).flac
2d2c17078ae02e8fd8d5c83baf86002f Disc 1 Track 12 Charles Atlas Song (Reprise).flac
ad1fea3d0f72167f03c6f56a19acdc74 Disc 1 Track 13 Bedroom Scenes.flac
054132f3b35e327bf60c187d2c854221 Disc 1 Track 14 Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me.flac
eadcc7a274506e34b5f6ad7137c9e4f5 Disc 1 Track 15 Once In A While.flac
4ad92139045a2bc9f95dfe04ffb0889d Disc 1 Track 16 Eddie's Teddy.flac
0dcdd91e23feb516e7edef8fad4f6639 Disc 1 Track 17 Planet Schmanet Janet .flac
d0b571f2eb3e8e333f5a7d87d6aa9bd0 Disc 1 Track 18 You're A Hot Dog.flac
58da558e5c481a843433e1510336df21 Disc 1 Track 19 Rose Tint My World .flac
5e0efbba25706357019bda63a4ce23a7 Disc 1 Track 20 Don't Dream It, Be It .flac
773dbfcf88c97bebdc72286e3f4d20e2 Disc 1 Track 21 Wild And An Untaimed Thing .flac
516961ef17ce4b7dc7107dcf037d8f9c Disc 2 Track 1 I'm Going Home.flac
d8583043eb2d9492e3db2a1c822e968d Disc 2 Track 2 The Death of Frank & Rocky.flac
480c562d327b9437bdf8f384c211aa2a Disc 2 Track 3 Superheroes.flac
3f1258233710dcb19b52dbd4d3186f13 Disc 2 Track 4 Science Fiction-Double Feature (Reprise).flac
9939ebc0bc76440f60f1db817b459008 Disc 2 Track 5 Sweet Transvestite (Encore) Company Bows .flac
f6c7ab9a38f691983ad144552528267d Disc 2 Track 6 Time Warp (Reprise).flac
13d4632bf397c8098828bdafba504684 Tim Curry RHS Play1973 or 1974.jpg
0211aef3387c37503b3ba9f5a81c2cb2 The Rocky Horror Show - Live at the Belasco Theatre, New York 3-14-75.txt
1e0bd02ee96c1f883a02e80a07d263ac Disc 1 Track 1 Welcome To The Show Tonight.flac
6f1156c75a3f717798035d655a4f1723 Disc 1 Track 2 Science Fiction-Double Feature.flac
5fae1b2e36f6301a7a85b1521a0c610b Disc 1 Track 3 Damnit Janet.flac
6825bbc14f448b265d16805b755fb916 Disc 1 Track 4 Narrator.flac
8ddd7a96d9aefc69a964656771f580bd Disc 1 Track 5 Over At The Frankenstein Place.flac
9ddb1838a1c63bc7082fa6c086b7fd61 Disc 1 Track 6 Sweet Transvestite.flac
Info file View Info file (5.09 KB)
Category Rock
Last seeder Last activity 0:01 ago
Size 426.82 MB (447,548,871 bytes)
Added Tue 15th Apr, 2008 01:23 GMT
Views 1566
Hits 791
Snatched 646 time(s)
Upped by lestatkatt
Num files
[See full list] 30 files
Peers
[See full list] 172 seeder(s), 2 leecher(s) = 174 peer(s) total

================================================

Here's an amazing comment left on the thread on Dime. It needs to be read here too about this recording, and how it surfaced:

Posted by Sthunder69
In the beginning of the Nineties, when The Rocky Horror Show was riding high on the wave of renewed interest from its fifteen anniversary video release, there was a young man who loved The Rocky Horror Show more than -- well, more than any other show on earth. He amassed an enormous collection of the play's various productions, making friends with many of the cast members past and present. He became something of an authority in matters concerning The Rocky Horror Show, and was generally respected by the play's collector circles as a driven and devoted archivist of RHS goodies of all sorts. Quickly accepted into the "elite trading circles" as a peer, he was soon the primary point of contact for many a Rocky Horror Show fan.

Those of you who are Rocky Horror Show fans might be aware of stories of a recording of the Belasco Cast -- the show's 1975 original pre-film brief appearance on Broadway. This gentleman, who shall be identified by the name of Muzzle for purposes of this story, was the one who discovered it. He traced it to an individual who had worked the soundboard for the Belasco Theatre during that time, and while he was not the engineer who recorded that particular night, he was entrusted with the first-generation copy of the taping. (The recording's nature is uncertain -- it may be a raw monitor mix, or a well-planned open air recording.) Muzzle rented equipment, drove down to the engineer's rural New York home, and made a transfer from the master tapes to a second-generation DAT tape source, which he then transferred to high-quality digital masters.

He was proud of himself; he had in his possession a recording that 'didn't exist,' a rare and amazing find that would surely take the Rocky Horror Show community by storm. He had never felt quite so powerful, quite so influential. He knew that his next few choices concerning the recording would be instrumental in the Rocky Horror Show fandom. Many people believed this landmark production, with many of the stars of the film (including Tim Curry, Meat Loaf, and Richard O'Brien), had never been recorded.

He was young, though, and he made a choice he deeply regrets -- after giving the recording to several of his closest friends, he agreed with them that this was a "special" recording, one far too valuable to allow to be traded. He stamped the recording "NO TRADE," and bound his friends by honor to refrain from making copies of it. His friends agreed quickly, and even liked the idea -- this made them "special" too, gave them a tool of influence and power, a mark of their "elite" standing in the Rocky Horror Show audio community. However, far more people were upset by the decision -- they didn't understand why others were deemed "worthy" of the treasure, and they weren't. Muzzle shrugged and smiled and tried to assure them that they were important to him, too, but...but...

...well, it boiled down to the fact that Muzzle had drawn an artificial line in the sand, and declared some people "a little more important" than others. He lost a lot of friends during those weeks, though the "trusted lieutenants" flanked to his side and insulated him with rhetoric and solidarity.

Muzzle married, and retired from active trading, devoting his energy to family and career matters. He quietly lurked on this new "internet" thing, watching his old friends in Rocky Horror Show fandom...and watched some distressing consequences of his choices. Some of his "trusted lieutenants" decided to exercise their power, and offered the recording to their own trusted lieutenants...some of whom proved less than honorable. The next thing Muzzle knew, he heard tales of copies of his recording being sold for considerable sums. He was furious, and resentful, and felt betrayed...but when he complained to his old friends, they told him, in short, to cry himself a river.

He realized, then, what a hypocrite he'd been. They were simply doing what he'd done, way back when -- distributing the recording as they saw fit, enjoying the power that having a "special super-rare recording" afforded them. Once he'd let the recording out of his hands, he lost control of the copies he'd made -- and others exercised that control to their own design. They profited, socially and financially, from the treasure they had -- and they did so in the same way he had, by playing 'God,' and enjoying the power to give to some and deny to others.

In a fit of disgust, Muzzle shipped his entire Rocky Horror Show collection to one particular old friend, threw his remaining listening copies into a dumpster in La Puente, California, and abandoned The Rocky Horror Show completely, ashamed. His better-known fandom names, and his real name, vanished into the shadows of a youth-based, fast-changing fandom, and today he's little more than a footnote in a few books written about Rocky Horror fandom.

Today, Muzzle is ashamed of himself, and the lesson he learned is simple: recordings are meant to be shared, and any attempt to limit access to them defeats the point of fandom. Fandom is above love, obsession, passion, admiration, rapt attention and blathering on and on about details the average person would find trivial and uninteresting. Fandom of musicals is about microanalyzing the subtle arrangement differences in cast recordings, arguing into the wee hours of the morning about the relative merits of one performer versus another, feeling that exquisite little deep-shine shiver and chills when one's favorite song hits that magic moment. Without these moments of connection, of kinship to share, there is no 'fandom' of which to partake, only the hoarding of things. Becoming a 'dead end node' of a recording -- taking it in without giving it out to more in return -- is the single most terrible thing, in Muzzle's opinion, a fan can do; it deprives the fandom of that which it loves, denies it moments of bonding and communing in appreciation. It is selfish, and the puny, tiny "prize" of having something others don't is a lousy prize in light of all the happiness that could have been shared by being a giver rather than a hoarder.

Trades are wonderful -- they help guard against leechers, who are very much like hoarders, in that they take without giving back. However, should you ever be in the position of being tempted to "dead end" a rare recording, think about Muzzle, and the burden he's carried for over a decade by using his moment of power for selfish ends rather than generous ones, the friendships he ruined, the bitter taste left in his metaphorical mouth by the stageplay he once loved with all his heart, in the truest spirit of fandom.

There is only one thing left for him to do, and he's chosen to do it: with sincere apologies to the Rocky Horror Show fandom circles, Muzzle offers his recording of the Belasco cast of The Rocky Horror Show to free trade status, with absolutely no restrictions -- and indeed, he asks that you thank him by spreading it to absolutely every person who might want to hear it, without any "rare recording" restrictions. If you encounter someone in your travels who has a copy of the recording, feel free to tell him or her that the person most likely to have been responsible for the master copy of the show they have has rescinded all trade restrictions on the recording, and is deeply ashamed of his own past selfishness.

Spread this recording, friends -- and if you like, spread Muzzle's story, too, if you feel his example is one you'd like to see others adopt. Nothing would please Muzzle more than to see rare recordings given away freely, and his name, one day, remembered as the man who liberated the Belasco Cast, not the man who hoarded it in the first place. And if you have a rare recording that's really just too good not to share, and the only thing stopping you from volunteering copies of it is the desire to keep it "special" -- imagine, for a moment, how much better it will feel to be the one credited with liberating the recording. Imagine, if you will, all the voices rising to thank you, all the smiles you'll inspire, all the evenings of fans losing themselves in the recording you shared with them, you introduced them to, you made possible.

We have the opportunity, every day, to be "heroes" in little ways, in our fandoms. Muzzle would, I think, urge you to take advantage of them. It is a million times more rewarding to exercise the power to spread the wealth, than the power to hoard it.

For now, though, please enjoy the newly-liberated live, full-play Belasco Cast recording of The Rocky Horror Show, from its original 1975 pre-film brief Broadway run, courtesy of Muzzle.
-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: I need to meet some friend in the Philadelphia area who are Rocky Horror Freaks like me. I have never had any friends when I was growing up who were into the movie, and now it is hardly even shown in Philly on a real Movie Screen. It's just not the same since it closed up at the TLA & Roxy Theater in Philly.

Has anyone who is good at editing, ever try to dub the Official Audience Participation CD to the DVD for their own enjoyment and maybe for trade? I like that version so much better than the one on the DVD, and it would great to have them in sync on a DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Very nice post from Justin. 8) I'll have to grab that off DIME - it's been awhile since I've downloaded much from there (hopefully my account is still active). I'm glad that it had a good reception. I did actually find one other Rocky Horror related show there previously - a 2001 Broadway cast bootleg with Sebastian Bach. I obviously didn't post that here though, since the Broadway cast album is still in print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:57 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Yes, I pulled that broadway recording aswell. It's Excellent! I don't know if it's still active on Dime, but I have it, now along with 3 videos from the Broadway Play. *Stupid question: Who was the last guy to play Frank on the recent Broadway Production? That's one strange show! I really likely the 1st Frank they used (the one on the CD Release) . I did notice from hearing a couple shows, that Dick Cavett's 'unscripted lines' were pretty much the same each night! I thought that was ammusing.

Somewhere I also have a disc, the first version I heard from the recent Broadway play off of Napster, before it went down and stop being a free account. Another decent performance. I need to pull that one out again, and give it another listen. I wish i had the exact date for that show. I know it was very early in the production..........
It's almost complete, al the songs are there, and Most of the dialogue, but each track was posted seperately, and i don't think the original taper released or recorded the entire show that night. I hope I'm wrong, and can track down a loseless copy of it.

- Michael :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:29 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Riff Raff...sure, the Broadway cast recording is still in print - but the recording with Bach has a much different cast. Please post it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:59 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

i LOVE this recording ALOT. it's great to hear the play in its original form - well, the most original that we have access to - withOUT the annoying audience participation. however, there is one point where if you listen closely [not for very much longer], you can hear:

JANET. Frank, that is... is he your-
AUDIENCE MEMBER. Mother?

also, this has the best version of Once In A While in existance. never has the song fit in with the show so perfectly before. is there anyplace one could obtain the music if they wanted to use it in a production - because i'd love to use theirs.

i just wish there wasnt that skip in dialogue from rocky's "Oh, it's you." to "Have you got any lipgloss?"

oh, well.