The Musical World of Rocky Horror

RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:33 pm 
i recently bought rocky horror soundtrack but its missing some of the songs that were performed in the movie.

does anyone have any idea how i can go about getting these other songs as i really love the movie and would love to have the other songs as well

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:16 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

What songs? I have the original soundtrack :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:48 pm 
Techie
Techie

Simple answer? Ask around for a fan-made CD called "The Rocky Horror Picture Show Special Mix".

It has...
* The 20th Century Fox fanfare
* Over At The Frankenstein Place, with the extra bit from "Sing It!" mixed in
* The full Time Warp, including the tap dance
* The Sword Of Damocles in glorious stereo (something that no official album has offered), with the extra verse inserted as well
* Once In A While, intercut with Janet's dialogue as nature intended
* Planet Schmanet Janet and Hot Dog, both in stereo
* Peter Hinwood's actual voice in The Floor Show
* Both versions of Science Fiction Reprise synced side by side
* The Time Warp Jam from the original prints

That's just a basic description... literally each track has something special to offer. Honestly, unless you're that committed to the soundtrack versions (like the re-recorded "Time Warp"), this makes the official album obsolete.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:22 am 
Groupie
Groupie

Honestly, the first sure way to get everything is to just get the 25th album soundtrack. It has ALL songs from the movie. It may not be as neat as the special mix but that's really not that great. I have it and the mixes on some of the songs are out of sync and not synced all that right.

Also someone on here posted a link to the mono soundtrack to download. That has every thing you need

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:14 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

TheLazenby wrote:
Simple answer? Ask around for a fan-made CD called "The Rocky Horror Picture Show Special Mix".

It has...
* The 20th Century Fox fanfare
* Over At The Frankenstein Place, with the extra bit from "Sing It!" mixed in
* The full Time Warp, including the tap dance
* The Sword Of Damocles in glorious stereo (something that no official album has offered), with the extra verse inserted as well
* Once In A While, intercut with Janet's dialogue as nature intended
* Planet Schmanet Janet and Hot Dog, both in stereo
* Peter Hinwood's actual voice in The Floor Show
* Both versions of Science Fiction Reprise synced side by side
* The Time Warp Jam from the original prints

That's just a basic description... literally each track has something special to offer. Honestly, unless you're that committed to the soundtrack versions (like the re-recorded "Time Warp"), this makes the official album obsolete.

I've never been able to locate this CD, but I've always wondered about it. Where do things like Brad's verse from OATFP, The Crim's verse from SOD, and Janet's dialogue from OIAW come from? In the case of the first two: Are they simply the instrumental sections from Sing It!? Or are they taken from another cast recording? Or, even better, are they actual studio outtakes from the RHPS sessions? As for Janet's dialogue, are we talking about just some lines from the movie rejiggered and stuck into the "Gaps" of OIAW, or are they taken from somewhere like "The Whole Gory Story" or something? Or, even better, actual outtakes from TRHPS of Susan's cut dialogue ("My lips were hungry" etc)?

If anyone could point me towards a link to download this, I would be greatly appreciative.

Something that has always pissed me off is that Fox (or "Ode" or whoever) is sitting on the multitrack versions of Damocles and Planet Schmanet with vocals (so they claim... I have my doubts) but decided not to release them on the 25th Anniversary soundtrack for, uh, some vague reason mentioned in the interview for Crazed with the guy who produced it. ("We thought it flowed better to use clunky sounding dubs straight from the film rather than the nice stereo versions we supposedly hold in the vaults and we decided to leave out "Hot Dog", even though we include several minutes of dialogue between songs, because releasing a soundtrack with all of the songs from Rocky Horror would be stupid, wouldn't it?")

(End mocking paraphrasing of some guy whose name I can't remember, no disrespect.)

It seems to me like the only thing Fox can do properly in regards to RH is to collect the money- money generated primarily by unpaid fans in shadowcasts, certainly not by anything Fox has done to promote it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:25 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

autoamerican wrote:
Honestly, the first sure way to get everything is to just get the 25th album soundtrack. It has ALL songs from the movie.

Yeah, but it doesn't have "You're A Hot Dog" does it? I've always heard that it cuts off right after, "STOP!" and Frank banging into the controls just like on the Rocky Horror International CD.

Sorry to repeat myself from my previous rant, but if that's the case: What a stupid decision!!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrr! Why go to the pains of creating a supposedly "Complete" soundtrack, including loads of dialogue from before and after songs, and then leave out an entire "Song" (or "End section of a song" if you like) because, "It ends awkwardly"?

Like I said before, I suspect there is no multitrack of the complete Planet Schmanet with vocals, because if there was, they would have used it. Wouldn't they?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:39 am 
Groupie
Groupie

Look,

I hardly believe even to this day that Brad's verse in OATFP exist and that goes for Crim's verse in SOD. A lot of changes were made from stage to celluloid and those were things that just had to go. Remember Rocky doesn't talk in the film and so most of Janet's dialogue went with that out the window. I doubt HIGHLY Susan Sarandon recorded/filmed this dialogue. I have never seen ANY footage or dialogue of her lines spliced in with thte movie let alone the soundtrack. I've been a hardcore fan since 1990 and the stuff you are asking about just don't exist.

I'm sorry they left off Planet Hot Dog. I like that song too but we just have to deal with the fact that they have not or do not have a stereo version for release. I'm sure what they used in the movie is lost or in a vault owned by fox or the studio they recorded it in.

There have been many discoveries over the nearly 35 years and if it hasn't surfaced now it just isn't gonna.

This so called special edition soundtrack which was made by fans for fans is a very AMATUERISH attpempt at creating a complete soundtrack. All the movie bits are extracted from the 15th anniversary video and for some reason the way they dubbed it are primarily on the right channel when listening.
The songs that are extended like OATFP are simply overlapped with the Sing It! soundtrack behind the studio track.
NO Brad's Verse, No Crim's Verse, No Janet Dialogue. Thay do not exist and if they do they haven't been released nor will they anytime soon.

ANd to repeat myslef, I do own the RHPS special mix and it is nothing speacial I assure you. You cold probably make a better one yourself. These CD's/tapes were made in 1995 or 1996 when the Sing It! CD came out.

Here's what I say:
*The 20th Century Fox fanfare - dubbed from the stereo mix of the film POORLY
* Over At The Frankenstein Place, with the extra bit from "Sing It!" mixed in OUT OF SYNC I might add.
* The full Time Warp, including the tap dance mixed in and the bit from the film overlapping the background stero on a loop to resemble the film version
* The Sword Of Damocles in glorious stereo (something that no official album has offered), with the extra verse inserted as well THIS EXTRA VERSE is JUST THE INSTRUMENTAL FROM SING IT! with the movie version poorly played over the Sing It! version don't get your hopes up on quality.
* Once In A While, intercut with Janet's dialogue as nature intended - This is not on the special edition or special mix. I have it purhcased at a convention and these verses are not in there becuase they do not exist.
* Planet Schmanet Janet and Hot Dog, both in stereo NO they are not. YOur being fooled by them ripping the stereo mix movie version from the 15th anniversary overlapped wiht the Sing It! instumental. The Hot Dog part is simply taken from the film and like I said above it is poorly ripped and so it dominates on the right channel instead of both left/right
* Peter Hinwood's actual voice in The Floor Show - this is simply the mono version which does have his voice. Everyone who owns the DVD has this.
* Both versions of Science Fiction Reprise synced side by side - synched poorly side by side at the same time which is annoying becuase Richard sings completley different ways in each version.
* The Time Warp Jam from the original prints. just fro the 15th anniversary

EVERYTHING FROM THE 15TH anniversary is not really stereo. THEY MADE A SPECIAL MIX JUST FOR VIDEO RELEASE OF THE FILMS SOUNDTRACKS GIVING THE ILLUSION OF STEREO PLAYED ON HI-FI STEREO VCRS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 am 
Slut
Slut

...but I thought that Sing It! was made from the master tapes, but with the lead vocal track removed. If I'm correct then multitracks of S.O.D. and P.S.J. DO exist somewhere, or where they re-recorded for Sing it?
If THATS the case then were the 'extra verses' re-recorded also?

I'm still pissed that they included all the 'alternative endings' on the DVD, then replaced the 'Timewarp Jam' with the Timewarp from Sing it!.
GRRRRRRRRRR :x

I might have a go at making a special edition soundtrack from what I've got, if I get time, but I think It'll end up a but of a mash...(hmm rocky horror mash-up?? now THAT's an idea!!!) I'll let you know....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:43 pm 
Slut
Slut

here we go....

any comments? :eyebrow:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1Y2VDY51
http://www.easy-share.com/1903560991/06 The Sword of Damocles (mixed).mp3
http://www.easy-share.com/1903560960/Planet Schmamet Janet (mixed).mp3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:14 am 
Groupie
Groupie

that's the best effort I've heard so far!