RockyMusic

The Musical World of Rocky Horror
* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register

Post subject: Casting for RHS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:04 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Look, I know no one likes to think about the fact that MTV may soon be proceeding with a remake of RHPS, but we can at least throw in our two cents as to who we think would make a decent new cast. What follows is my casting choices, along with reasoning behind them. Anyone else, feel free to join in!

Usherette (The Lips).........David Bowie (The movie version of "Science Fiction Double Feature" is entirely different from the more doo-wop sped-up arrangement common to the stage show, as you all know, and was structured after Bowie's material. Who better to cast in the remake for this moment than the Thin White Duke?)
Brad Majors.........Clay Aiken (Think of how appropriate this would be. Especially the seduction by Frank.)
Janet Weiss.........Brittany Snow (Believably innocent, and imagine the fun of calling her a slut in the callback lines.)
Criminologist.........Bill Hader (SNL's pitch-perfect "Vincent Price," and my first pick.)
Riff Raff.........Andrew Stockdale (He's the lead singer of Wolfmother, and suitably creepy.)
Magenta.........Amanda Palmer (Vocalist for Dresden Dolls. Creepy-sexy. 'Nuff said.)
Columbia.........Megan Mullally (I defy all Karen Walker/"Will and Grace" fans to put her in that gold suit, and listen to just one of Little Nell's lines without picturing Karen Walker after seeing this post.)
Frank N. Furter.........Jack Black (Don't do it, don't do it, put that down! I know what you're saying. Number one, Jack Black has the voice. Listen to the part, and tell yourself Jack Black couldn't do this just as funnily and well within his vocal range. That's right - you can't. Also, I think it's about time we got rid of the stereotype of a sexy Frank N. Furter--just because Tim Curry was sexy, does not follow that every Frank after him should be. There were some Franks in the show's past who went out of their way to make the role as grotesque as possible, Reg Livermore being one. The role is a twist on the traditional sci-fi movie "mad scientist," with a Fifties stereotypical bisexual slant [meaning how they viewed them then, as decadent cross-dressers who *beep* everything in sight]. Nothing in there about being sexy.)
Rocky Horror.........Joe Anderson (He's blond, he sings, he'd look good half-naked, and so it begins for him following "Across the Universe.")
Eddie.........John C. Reilly (Most of you would no doubt have pictured Jack Black here before I pleaded my case. I mean, Meat Loaf played his dad, and Jack was supposed to play Meat Loaf in a VH1 movie but it didn't pan out, and...enough. Reilly is SNL's resident rock vocalist imitator. He can bust out a Meat Loaf impression. It's one number - but what a number!)
Dr. Scott.........Christopher Lee (All I have to do is say his name, and mention his pedigree in the Hammer films that 'Rocky' was striking out at, and instant win.)

Post subject: Re: Casting for RHS
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:16 pm 
Slut
Slut

Nah I'd have Jack Black play both Eddie and Dr. Scott and have Anthony Head play Frank (I know hes old now but Richard O'Brien and Terrence Mann were both in their fifties when they did the part) plus I love Anthony's frank its Sexy as hell which I believe Frank should be seeing as everyone wants to fck him.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

rockygoodness wrote:
Dr. Scott.........Christopher Lee (All I have to do is say his name, and mention his pedigree in the Hammer films that 'Rocky' was striking out at, and instant win.)

He's actually played the Narrator before, on a studio cast recording (the one with Brian May and such... the NSO Ensemble one). Christopher Lee seems to pop up in all kinds of things loosely related to Rocky Horror for whatever reason:

http://www.rockymusic.org/tags/Christopher+Lee.php

The SNL clip where he completely screws up introducing Meat Loaf is pretty amusing. And the "Name Your Poison" song (written by Richard O'Brien and Richard Hartley) he sings for The Return Of Captain Invincible is just awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:04 am 
Techie
Techie

In Christopher's defense, I think it was pretty obvious that the screwed-up introduction was planned - I mean, if the "meet Loaf!" pun didn't give it away, SNL would still cut to the band's performance if he genuinely screwed it up.

Off the top of my head, Jack Black introduced John Mayer as "John Meyer" (with a great facial expression when he realized his goof), and Adrian Brody introduced Sean Paul as "Sean John." Both times, the performance started as if nothing happened.