PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:27 am 
Virgin
Virgin

Whoever is in charge of the lyrics posted on this site:

I believe the line that you have posted as "Flow morphia slow"

should be

"Flow Morpheus flow"

a reference to the Greek god of dreams.

You won't convince me otherwise unless you get Richard O'Brien himself to back you up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 am 
Groupie
Groupie

Morpheus wrote:
Whoever is in charge of the lyrics posted on this site:

I believe the line that you have posted as "Flow morphia slow"

should be

"Flow Morpheus flow"

a reference to the Greek god of dreams.

You won't convince me otherwise unless you get Richard O'Brien himself to back you up.

But the lyrics said, "flow morphia slow", although morphia is not a word.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:34 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

To what "lyrics" do you refer? I find that most lyrics posted online contain errors in transcription simply from people writing down things that they misheard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The scripts to the play, for instance:

http://www.rockymusic.org/showdoc/rhs-1970s-script.php
http://www.rockymusic.org/showdoc/rhs-1999-script.php

I'm not saying that they're paragons of accuracy (I OCRed them from books I own and adjusted the HTML formatting manually), but they both have "Flow morphia slow" also.

Morpheus wrote:

His name is in fact on both scripts. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:17 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

people sign crap all the time without verifying their accuracy.

how many software licenses do you actually read before you click "agree" on?

The line MAKES NO SENSE as posted.

Whereas Flow Morpheus flow DOES make sense in the context of all his other lyrics.

you're not going to convince me that Richard O'Brien wrote a line that makes ZERO sense unless you get him to say he wrote that line as you have it posted and I know he's actually read what we're talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:36 am 
Virgin
Virgin

I agree that it's more likely "Morpheus" than "morphia" regardless of what the lyric book says. (I base this contention on the inclusion of the word "dreaming" in the previous line, so "Morpheus" is tied thematically to that, whereas an archaic term for morphine has nothing to do with anything else in the song.)

However, I don't think the line is "Flow Morpheus flow." It's probably "Flow Morpheus slow" or possibly "Flow Morpheus low."

Is it conceivable that the line is written as "morphia" to let singers know the timing of the line? (There would be slight enjambment going on with the "Morpheus" hypothesis, so could the lyrics deliberately be written incorrectly to let the singer know to bleed the "S" in "Morpheus" into the "S" in "slow" at the start of the next line with the intent that the audience will hear the line as "Morpheus slow" regardless of what is written?)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:06 am 
Virgin
Virgin

After rewatching the scene in the movie I must admit that the word after Morpheus does not appear to be flow...too bad the window is obstructing O'Brien's lips somewhat.

Flow Morpheus slow would seem to me to be uncharacteristically ungrammatical for O'Brien...of course slowly wouldn't fit in that position.

But I'm still uncomfortable with Flow Morpheus low

The darkness must go down the river of night's dreaming
Flow Morpheus low, let the sun and night come streaming
Into my life...into my life...

As far as it being some kind of phonetic spelling for the singer...I suppose there might be something to that, but then again that part of the song was originally performed by O'Brien himself so...I don't know.

I need to speak with O'Brien...dammit :?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:37 pm 
Groupie
Groupie

isn't it flow morphia slow?

that's always what i heard and read in the various lyrics sheets

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:51 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

I have numerous copies of the published sheet music, and scores for the show and they all say "morphia". Also if you listen to O'Brien do it on other recordings such as the original london cast or the audio of the 1975 Broadway production(available on this site) you can hear it more clearly that it is "morphia". Morphia is a word. It is another word for morphine. A drug. That whole little solo of his is about drugs I always thought. After all Frank lets us know that Riff Raff was waiting for the "candyman" (the drug dealer). Also if you look closely at Frank-N-Furter's left arm during the whole film he has two band-aids and a tourniquet tied there as if he was injecting something. Heroin. Drugs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:55 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Definately look at the 1975 Broadway audio. He takes a large pause in between the words in that version.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:06 am 
Groupie
Groupie

jamiedlover wrote:
I have numerous copies of the published sheet music, and scores for the show and they all say "morphia". Also if you listen to O'Brien do it on other recordings such as the original london cast or the audio of the 1975 Broadway production(available on this site) you can hear it more clearly that it is "morphia". Morphia is a word. It is another word for morphine. A drug. That whole little solo of his is about drugs I always thought. After all Frank lets us know that Riff Raff was waiting for the "candyman" (the drug dealer). Also if you look closely at Frank-N-Furter's left arm during the whole film he has two band-aids and a tourniquet tied there as if he was injecting something. Heroin. Drugs.

OOOOHH! Trippy!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 am 
Virgin
Virgin

The book Frankenstein differs from the character created on the movie screen. His story is much deeper issuing important question which none of us can answer at once http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/frankenstein-critical-essay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm 
Virgin
Virgin

Well, in Science Fiction/Double Feature the line "See Androids fighting Brad and Janet" ...
They weren't androids.

-Colton